Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically select & rename columns based on current date (column headers are dates)

Astro55
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

I need help with two parts of a problem that I am trying to solve. I have added a file with two tabs - the first contains the raw data and the second contains the expected output

Part 1
I have a table that lists various deals and their projected sales over several months. I want to perform further calculations on only those columns that are from the current month onwards. For example, if I'm running the workflow on 7/27/2023, I want Alteryx to select all columns from Jul-23 onwards, and exclude anything before that.

I tried performing a dynamic select with the formula listed below, but it's not working. Could you please help me develop an expression to dynamically select the first column + all columns from the current month onwards?

Expression that I tried in the Dynamic Select Tool: 
[FieldNumber] >= DateTimeTrim(DateTimeToday(),'firstofmonth')

Part2 
I then want to rename those column headers to consecutive numbers from 1 onwards, so that I can set formulas to add certain columns within the data. I tried researching old posts but couldn't figure out how to easily do this. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Astro55 , this should help with the first part:

Screenshot 2023-07-27 155643.png

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

@Astro55 and this should help with the second

Screenshot 2023-07-27 155920.png

Astro55
8 - Asteroid

@FinnCharlton - The second solution works like a charm! Thank you SO SO much!

I see how perfectly the first solution works in your workflow. But for some reason, when I apply it to my data, it's only pulling in the first column and none of the date columns. Is it because I used the exact same expression as you and used "[name]" instead of some other col. header? I couldn't figure out what else to use in its place.

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

@Astro55 In the Dynamic Select tool, [Name] just refers to the column name, so there shouldn't be a problem there. You might be using a different date format to me, which would result in the dateparse formula being null. What exactly is your date format in the column names?

Astro55
8 - Asteroid

@FinnCharlton - Firstly, Thank you SO much for the super swift response!

When I click into the columns, the date format is M/D/YYYY (e.g., 7/1/2023 or 10/1/2023), and shows up as Jul-23. Could this be causing the issue? Apologies, Date-Time still confuses me a lot in Alteryx.

Astro55
8 - Asteroid

PS: I tried changing the date format to the standard Alteryx format of yyyy-mm-dd, but Alteryx is still not picking up any of the date fields 

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

@Astro55 so the name of the field is in M/D/YYYY format? Where does it show up as Jul-23? Maybe a screenshot would be helpful. If the column names are in M/D/YYYY format, you can replace the datetimeparse function in the dynamic select tool with:

datetimeparse([Name],'%m/%d/%Y')
Astro55
8 - Asteroid

@FinnCharlton : I did a little more digging and Alteryx is importing the dates correctly. I tried using the updated formula and playing around with the date-time formula, but I'm hitting a blank wall. Screenshots and file below (tab: Input).

Labels