Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic renaming multiple fields based on descriptors from previous column

ipcole45
5 - Atom

Hello All,

I'm dealing with SAP datasets that export out of the system without column headers for all fields.  I am looking to identify a workflow setup that can dynamically rename the column headers based on the field descriptors from the immediate previous column. 

• Within the input file (Column Header - SAP Report Example.xlsx) I labeled a tab called Ideal Output - as you can see from the highlighted fields it a simple concatenation & rename to perform within excel. 

• Within the workflow, I tried going down the route of transposing the data and using a "multi-row formula" tool/formula to update the values as needed. However, when attempting to transpose/cross-tab back I am not able to reproduce the same format I need as shown within the Ideal Output tab of the input file

• I realize the "Select" tool can be used to manually rename the column headers. However when I need to refresh the report and input into Alteryx, the Select tool is no longer picking up the field names in the same order/fashion (i.e. says fields are missing). Additionally I need a workflow that can handle different variation of SAP reports that'll export from the system with the same issue but different existing field headers/parameters. 

When anyone be willing to provide some input on this? 

2 REPLIES 2
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @ipcole45 ,

Here's one approach you could take:

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 17.08.34.png

-----

If I've answered your question please consider marking this solution as accepted. Thank you!

ipcole45
5 - Atom

Jamie - Thank you this is very helpful

Labels