Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Rename to add Spaces?

Bren312
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, I've got a question regarding the Dynamic Rename tool which I'm hoping to get some help with.  I'm importing a CSV file which has all Column Header titles mashed together like so:  VendorClaimNumber; ItemName; CountryClaim, etc.

I'm looking for a way to dynamically add a space between the Capital Letters to change the headers to Vendor Claim Number, Item Name, etc.  

I've tried a REGEX_Replace ([_CurrentField_],"\u","\s") and that didn't do it...any ideas?  Thanks everyone!

Bren

6 REPLIES 6
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Bren312 

I used a few more tools than just a Dynamic Rename, but it should be easy to follow. Check out the attached workflow to see how I used RegEx to identify capitalized words, rebuild them with spaces, and rename all the fields of the original data stream.

20200309-RenameWithSpaces.PNG

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Bren312 ,

This is more involved because you need to dynamically address the replacement of Capital Letters with SPACE+Capital Letter (except the first).  I created a replacement table for field names as shown below:

capture1.png

I hope that this helps and possibly teaches you something.  If someone else comes up with a cleaner solution, I'll be interested.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@CharlieS ,

In my solution I accept values with spaces as names and don't mess with them.  I know that it wasn't a stated requirement, but I did add that feature.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Bren312
8 - Asteroid

Top notch; thanks Mark!  Your workflow definitely taught me some things and I appreciate you taking a look at this.  Thanks again and all the best!

Bren

Bren312
8 - Asteroid

Hi Charlie, thanks for taking a look at this.  I like your solution; it's pretty sleek.  Thanks again and all the best!

Bren

kpayne
5 - Atom

Thank you!! This was exactly what I was looking for. :)  Worked perfectly. 

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels