Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download Tool with API - No Data Returned

EW
11 - Bolide

I'm having trouble getting an API to work in Alteryx, and I suspect it's a setting in the Download tool.  I'm not too experienced with APIs, so I greatly appreciate any help!

I'm trying to use the GeoNames Address Geocoding API.  I've gotten it to work correctly in Postman and a browser, but the same URL isn't working in Alteryx. 

The URLs are like: http://api.geonames.org/geoCodeAddress?&q=3345+michelson+dr&postalcode=92612&username=USERNAME

Where USERNAME is my username...  You can get one here for free or use "demo" (which doesn't always seem to work).

It returns the following from the Download tool:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<geonames/>

The weird thing is that it returns actual data (including the coordinates I'm looking for) if I use the exact same link in Postman or a browser.  That makes me think it's something that can be fixed in Alteryx rather than a URL issue.  

GeoNames API Question.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @EW 

Uncheck this option in the download tool.

jrgo_0-1632963026956.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I think that @jrgo is spot on with the unchecking the Encode URL box. I also wanted to provide an article that I put together that walks through some of the basics of setting up API connections in Alteryx: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/APIs-for-Beginners-Integrate-All-the-Systems/ba-p/8074... Hopefully you find it helpful!

EW
11 - Bolide

Thank you so much @jrgo - unchecking that box worked perfectly.  And thanks @BrandonB as well, your article has a lot of really helpful information! 

jrobiso2
8 - Asteroid

I need the reverse - I need a Decode tool for URLs.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels