Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
GELÖST

Directory tool does not expand the data

Manjari
Asteroid

Hi All, 

how to extract the data from Directory tool. I get the File attributes and not the actual data. 

how can I get the data from Directory tool. 

Also, The input tool does not pick all the files from the folder, hence I cant use the input tool. 

5 ANTWORTEN 5
Sebastiaandb
Quasar

@Manjari 

Here you go!

Sebastiaandb_0-1645106502700.png

You need to use a macro and within the macro, you have to set the action tool the right way :-). It's just a batch macro that takes all filenames from the directory tool.

Hope it helps,

Greetings,

Seb

Luke_C
Castor

Hi @Manjari 

To add on to @Sebastiaandb 's solution. This is expected behavior of the directory tool. You can pass it through to a batch macro as demonstrated above, or alternatively to a dynamic input tool.

Did you try using a wildcard in your normal input tool? For many file types this should work if the schema is consistent. For example, instead of specifying a specific file you can do C:\Filepath\*.csv and it will take all the csvs in that file path. 

Manjari
Asteroid

Hi @Sebastiaandb, I tried your solution, but I find the output gives me the data of the first file (which is linked to the macro to be replaced after every iteration) multiple times. 

For eg. Here is a data set example attached: I have 2 files in a folder

1. Chocolate.xlsx 

2. Icecream.xlsx 

Chocolate.xlsx is linked to the macro when creating the macro. 

The output I get is:

ChocolateFile name
ChocolateChocolate
ChocolateChocolate

The Output is twice of the first file, Since I have 2 files. If I have 9 files with Chocolate will be present 9 times. 

@Luke_C : Yes, I tried the wildcard character, I have used it many times in the past It used to pick up all the files in the folder. But unfortunately for the original data set I have it picks 3 file out of 9. Really not sure why.

gabrielvilella
Magnetar

Hi @Manjari, I tested with my macro and I am getting data from both of your files

gabrielvilella_0-1645154964699.png

Manjari
Asteroid

@gabrielvilella : Thank you soo much. The macro worked like a charm. 

Beschriftungen