Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dealing with summation level when processing a SAP trial balance

franc1s
8 - Asteroid

Hello. Thanks in advance for any ideas here. I am trying to convert a python based process to a alteryx based process.

The following is a table with in col1 ledger numbers and summation lines for those numbers (col2 is an amount, col3 indicates a summation level. I want to be able to "tag" the ledger numbers with the summation lines. I dont know in advance how many ledger numbers appear before a summation level is reported. As you can see, the summation levels are also "nested".

Each of these files (1 by entity) can have different accounts, and therefore some summation levels might not appear in some files.

col1col2col3
TOTAL CASH34
TOTAL CASH AND CASH EQUIVALENTS33

TOTAL ACCOUNT AND NOTE REC. TRADE94
TOTAL AR TRADE/DISC.ACCTS/BAD DEBTS93

NEXT SUMMATION LEVEL12 

In python I am reading the rows until col1 is text, then, to the rows I have read so far, I tag my input with the text. Looking at the summation level, I know if I need to add a tag or not.

In order to facilitate data processing down stream, this is the format that I am looking for.

col1col2col3
1126900TOTAL CASH
2012232TOTAL CASH
2024401TOTAL CASH
TOTAL CASH3TOTAL CASH AND CASH EQUIVALENTS
TOTAL CASH AND CASH EQUIVALENTS3NEXT SUMMATION LEVEL

121010005TOTAL ACCOUNT AND NOTE REC. TRADE
121010104TOTAL ACCOUNT AND NOTE REC. TRADE
TOTAL ACCOUNT AND NOTE REC. TRADE9TOTAL AR TRADE/DISC.ACCTS/BAD DEBTS
TOTAL AR TRADE/DISC.ACCTS/BAD DEBTS9NEXT SUMMATION LEVEL

NEXT SUMMATION LEVEL12NEXT SUMMATION LEVEL +1

In the end I should end up with a linked chain of summation levels.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @franc1s 

I believe to have created what you need.

Please find attached a workflow with the following:

TheOC_0-1647862645548.png

There are two points where i think you may find use from the data - and these are indicated by the browse tools.

Please have a look and let me know if it helps,
Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
franc1s
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @TheOC! You have given me some good ideas with the record id and the multi rows tool. What I end up with is a list of ledger numbers and the tag (or balance sheet caption) immediately above. I am now trying to get a hierarchical view of the tags. For the moment this is escaping me a bit. 

I havent advanced much today. I have included a more realistic file that I am working from.

franc1s
8 - Asteroid

I will open a second item for the remaining questions as I believe there are some special learnings to be had.

Labels