Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Database connection with semi-colon in password

mcha54
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to escape a semi-colon in the connection string on an Input tool?

We have a system generated password that the database admins setup, but it always has a semi-colon in it.

When I try a DSN-less connection string, the semicolon acts as a separator, so it doesn't encrypt the full password.

odbc:DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 8.0 Unicode Driver};UID=myuserid;SERVER=myserverURL;PWD=__encryptedpassword__;restofpassword

I tried wrapping the password in single quotes and double quotes, but it does not encrypt the full password either.

When I try an ODBC DSN connection, I get a prompt saying "format of the initialization string does not conform to specification".

5 REPLIES 5
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @mcha54 

I think that one of our ACEs may be able to assist you.

@BenMoss @Joe_Lipski could either of you weigh in and assist?

Thanks!

TrevorS

Community Moderator
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Not sure I can offer anything here, the web says single quotes should do it

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23014180/sql-server-2008-password-ending-in-a-semicolon

Ben

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @TrevorS & @mcha54,

Similarly to @BenMoss, I don't have experience with this so don't think I can advise other than googling or reaching out to support.

Thanks, 

Joe

Joe Lipski
mcha54
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, thanks for the replies - I had reached out to support and it is a defect (feature) with no resolution.

They suggested to upvote this Idea:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Stop-passwords-from-escaping-characters-into...

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Thanks for providing the answer from support @mcha54, always really useful on posts!

I'd already cast my vote on that, so hopefully it gets picked up by product team soon.

Joe Lipski
Labels