Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Creating Batch File to Remove Sheetname

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi guys,

I would like to ask your help if you could create a batch file (autoexec.bat) deleting a specified sheet name. The directory of the file in located in the network drive. The filename for example is rename and delete.xlsx. Kindly also show how I can incorporate with the workflow.

Thanks,

Kamen

13 REPLIES 13
aatalai
14 - Magnetar

@KamenRider have you got the workflow to delete files (in a non batch macro already e.g. using C/python)?

Raj
16 - Nebula
KamenRider
11 - Bolide

HI @Raj  and @aatalai 

It is not the file that I would like to delete but rather the sheet tab or sheet name of the excel file. Any ideas? I was thinking a batch file would do the charm.

Hope to hear from you guys,

Kamen

Raj
16 - Nebula

@KamenRider  follow this.
Read Excel File:

Drag an "Input Data" tool onto the canvas.
Configure it to read the Excel file from the network drive (rename and delete.xlsx).
Filter Out Specified Sheet:

Drag a "Filter" tool onto the canvas.
Connect it to the "Input Data" tool.
Configure the filter to exclude the specified sheet name.
Write Excel File:

Drag an "Output Data" tool onto the canvas.
Connect it to the "Filter" tool.
Configure it to write the filtered data to a new Excel file.

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi @Raj 

Thanks for the response. I forgot to tell you that the excel file is formatted. I believe I have seen this flow wherein the results is unformatted. I am correct, right? Need to preserve the formatted part.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Kamen

Raj
16 - Nebula

@KamenRider try using blob tools. It will help you to preserve the format..

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @KamenRider 

Would it suffice or be better if the specific sheet contents be cleared (overwritten) and replaced with a comment and timestamp?

Capture.PNG

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi @Raj

I am having error with blob. Also, will that include removing the other sheet name? Can you share me a workflow please...Just to explain the process I am doing in order for you to have a view of what I am doing.

1. copy the file from shared drive to destination shared drive

2. remove/delete the old file from destination shared drive which will be replace by a new one.

3. rename the formatted file

4. remove the sheet2 from the formatted file

5. connect it to another file to make it one file.

Thanks,

Kamen

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

HI @HomesickSurfer 

Sorry but what to you mean? Are you saying to replace the contents with a comment and timestamp? The objectives is to remove sheet2 or the second worksheet in the excel.

Please advise,

Kamen

Labels