Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Copy and Paste Excel from one folder to another and add date

Wixard
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

Have searched the forum and found a few similar solutions, but they either do not work for me when I hit run, or are massively convoluted for what I thought was a simple process.

I would like to copy and paste an Excel workbook from one folder to another - and for the pasted workbook add current date in the format DDMonYY - e.g. 27Jul21. So obviously would have to be dynamic.

So input file: Workbook.xlsx (stays in the same folder untouched)

Output file: Workbook 27Jul21.xlsx (copied to a different folder)

Wondering if there was an easy way of doing this using max 4 or so tools/connections?

Many thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
Wixard
8 - Asteroid

Second question - is it possible to write to an output based on a wildcard?

In other words I am bringing in Workbook*.xlsx, but I want to write to a copy of this file which has the same name (the output is a copy of the input workbook in a different folder e.g. Workbook28Feb.

Reason is that I am writing to a range in order to maintain Excel formatting.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Wixard 

After you read the file as a blob you will still have the column from the directory input tool which will give you the filename of that specific file which you can use to create a new file.

atcodedog05_0-1646049124890.png

Hope this helps : )

Wixard
8 - Asteroid

Amazing - thanks @atcodedog05 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @Wixard 

Cheers and have a nice day!

gix
5 - Atom

Adding on to this. 

I need to continue to work on this new file Workbook 27Jul21.xlsx. How should I link it up to the rest of the workflow? 

anayet1988
8 - Asteroid

This is a really good solution. However, I am wondering if there is a way to delete the original file that you are copying. Essentially - what this is means is instead of copying and renaming with the date. I would like to CUT and rename with date.

Thanks

jmathew94
7 - Meteor

Thanks! This works how I expected, how can i use this tool for daily files? Example: Using the same template file as the blob input and the same formula for the timestamp but different outputs for daily files? 

abhishek_deshaw
5 - Atom

Is it also possible to modify the workflow such that rather than specifying a particular source directly, it dynamically pickups the names of files and their respective locations through an excel file and then copy and pastes them into a path specified in a destination column?

Labels