Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert replace formula to Alteryx

Polina1234
5 - Atom

Hi there,

I need to do replace, excel formula is =REPLACE(A1,2,1,"_")

Can anyone help me to convert it to Alteryx?

thank you

5 REPLIES 5
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Polina1234 ,

the syntax is replace([field],<String>,<replacement>)

If you click on the function button in the formula tool you will be given a list of all the functions available and you can select it from there. It will then give you the syntax.

mceleavey_0-1620906072974.png

Hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

KarolinaRoza
11 - Bolide

hi,

Please try:

left([Field1],1)+"_"+Substring([Field1],2)

Karolina

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @Polina1234 ,

Using the replace excel formula you are looking to replace the substring that starts at position number 2 of your string (the second character that appears in your text) and has a length of 1.

In Alteryx, one way that I can think of to do that (and hopefully I'm not overcomplicating it) is to look for the substring that starts at position 2 and has a length of 1 (note that in alteryx, you start counting characters from 0 and not 1). That you can do with a substring formula.

Then you want to replace the first occurrence of this substring with an underscore, so this is where you want to use the Replace function; since you only want to replace the first occurrence of this substring and not every occurrence, you can use a ReplaceFirst formula instead.

AngelosPachis_0-1620906702365.png

Not sure if this is the most robust way though so I look forward to see what other people have to suggest.

Cheers,

Angelos

KarolinaRoza
11 - Bolide

Hi @AngelosPachis ,

I am not sure about ReplaceFirst(), in case there is values like "aabcd" it will probably not work..

Karolina

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

You 're right @KarolinaRoza 👍

In that case it wouldn't work, thanks for flagging it

Labels