Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert month abbreviated string to last date of month

darenson
7 - Meteor

I have various data sources where I need to convert the abbreviated month, listed as: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr etc... into the last day of the month (preferably in this format) "2019-01-31", "2019-02-28", "2019-31-03", etc.. all the way to December. 

I tried inserting a replace function, but it doesn't seem to be working for whatever reason.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @darenson ,

I created two examples that you can use in your workflow. Personally, I prefer the first one since it calculates all dates automatically in a formula tool without a second support table.

fmvizcaino_0-1575936422102.png

Take a look at the attached example and let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Please read this article:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/MarqueeCrew-s-Guide-to-Avoiding-Date-Frustration/... 

i Try to explain the potential use case. You can look for oct 1 2019,  add a month and then subtract a day to get the last day. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hello @fmvizcaino 

As opposed to adding a month and and then subtracting a day, you can use DateTimeTrim([Parse],"lastofmonth").  This returns a DateTime value one second before the end of the month, i.e. 2019-02-28 23:59:59 but if you specify that the output is a Date type the time value will be stripped off.

Dan

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@danilang ,

very interesting use of DateTimeTrim(). I never used those functions. You must be aware of data type and output the date type when you really don't care about time. 

i like knowing that it works this way as an option. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@danilang ,

I had no idea you could do something like that with trim. 

Before seeing your reply, I was even thinking about submitting that as an idea for Alteryx. 

Phew!!!! 

Thanks for showing me once again an easier way to get things done! 🙂

Best,

Fernando V.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels