Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert String date to date

veekay
7 - Meteor

Hi There

In my database I have a string date values as Q1 2014, Q2 2014 etc. Is there a way to convert them to date values so that I can use these for analysis/time series calculations?

Thanks

Veekay

2 REPLIES 2
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can convert string dates to an actual date field using the 'datetime' tool, which supports a number of different incoming formats, and where Alteryx hasn't pre-built, in most instances you can use a 'custom' statement to capture your incoming date structure.

However, quarter is not one of those supported.

What I would advise you do is:

Split your field on the space character. This will leave you with two fields, one which is Q1 (quarter) and one that is 2014 (year).

Now you can build out a simple formula tool to develop your date.

[Year]+IF [Quarter] = "Q1" THEN "-01-01" ELSEIF [Quarter] = "Q2" THEN "-04-01" ELSEIF [Quarter] = "Q3" THEN "-07-01" ELSE "-10-01" ENDIF

veekay
7 - Meteor

This worked like a charm!

Thanks Ben 

Labels