Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Configure Run Command tool to move a file

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

I have a number of files in a directory, some of which I'll process, some of which I won't, but all YXDBs. Once all of the files I want to process have been processed then I want to move them to a different directory (or maybe delete, still TBC). I can do this using the command prompt.

The difficulty I'm having is how to run the command prompt, how to configure the Run Command tool. Apparently it needs either a Write Source or Read Results, I can't think what these could be to run a command in the command prompt.

I'll actually be generating the list of files to move into a list and am comfortable using a macro to alter the Command Arguments to dynamically load the command line details. What I don't know how to do is to get actually get the Run Command configured.

Note I've seen this prior question on a similar note, http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Using-Run-Command-to-Move-files/m-p/8958, but I prefer to do the Run Command mid-workflow and not use the Events if possible.

Frustratingly I'm unable to upload my 19kb screen shot of the current Run Command configuration so to describe I have entered "cmd" in the Command section and the correct arguement in the Command Arguments [Optional] section, which gives the error "Either an Output connection or Input Connection is required"

20 REPLIES 20
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

what's in Cmd3? Can you autofield it before your run command, or change the string type? Is it really that huge?

Labels