Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Compare two rows and remove them

bleu
8 - Asteroid

I've asked a similar question in the past but for some reason I can't figure this one out. I'm using multirow formulas but I'm not getting the right result and I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

If two times are the same but the milliseconds are +/-5 then I want to flag them for removal. (can filter it out later)

I'd like to do this:

bleu_1-1651785783072.png

1st multi row formula:

if [Time]=[Row-1:Time] and [Milliseconds]+5 >= [Row-1:Milliseconds] or
[Time]=[Row-1:Time] and [Milliseconds]-5 <= [Row-1:Milliseconds]

then 'Remove' else null() endif

2nd multi row formula

if [Time]=[Row+1:Time] and [Milliseconds]+5 >= [Row+1:Milliseconds] or
[Time]=[Row+1:Time] and [Milliseconds]-5 <= [Row+1:Milliseconds]

then 'Remove' else [New Field] endif

Can any one help?

5 REPLIES 5
rfoster7
9 - Comet

I'm a little confused because your question isn't matching your example data. What I think you are wanting is "if two rows have the same time, then check the milliseconds. If there is MORE than 5 millisecond difference between them, then flag them for removal. If there are less than 5 milliseconds different then leave them unflagged"

If so then  assuming your data is sorted by time, then milliseconds, then you can definitely do it with a multi row formula

if [Time]=[Row-1:Time] and abs([Milliseconds] - [Row-1:Milliseconds]) > 5 then 'Remove' 

elseif [Time]=[Row+1:Time] and abs([Milliseconds] - [Row+1:Milliseconds]) > 5 then 'Remove'

else null()

endif

I can't test that because you didn't provide the sample data in a way I could import it. Put it in as a table instead of a picture and it would help us to help you.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@bleu One way of doing this with the help of Tile and MultiFormula tool

binuacs_0-1651788060078.png

bleu
8 - Asteroid

rfoster7 and binuacs thank you both for your solutions!

I tried both of them and they worked but I forgot to mention that the data is in pairs.

When there are 4 times that are exactly the same (with less than 5 milliseconds difference), they should not be removed if that makes this even more confusing!

I've attached some data in Excel format to explain it.

I'm stuck again.

DataNath
17 - Castor

This seems to do the trick for the dataset and expected outcome you've provided. Workflow attached!

DataNath_0-1651796566507.png

bleu
8 - Asteroid

Ok DataNath, I never would have figured that out. It works perfectly. 

THANK YOU!

😁

Labels