Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Combine sheet from multiple excel files into one file

Praneeth1996
8 - Asteroid

Hi team,

I have around 400 files. I want to extract all the sheets with name "Apple" from these files and put those into a new excel file as different tabs. However, not all files can have this particular sheet. 

If there are 40 files where this sheet is present, I want to make an output file with 40 tabs. Is this possible?

7 REPLIES 7
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Praneeth1996 ,

I've attached an example workflow with a couple of tools to do exactly this thing.

The first custom tool identifies the sheet names in every workbook. You can apply a filter to simply take the "Apple" sheets. The second one loads them all in together.

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Praneeth1996
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mceleavey ,

In the .yxmc files - Dynamic Input files says file doesn't exist. Do you want me to select one of the 400 files here?

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Praneeth1996 , you can close the macro, you don't need to open those.

You should see the workflow:

mceleavey_0-1646400664229.png

In the first tool, the Directory tool, point it to the folder containing the files you want, and input the generic part of the filenames (if you have any, otherwise simply *.xlsx). 

Then filter after the Dynamic Multi File Sheet Names tool to only those sheets named "Apple".

M.

Bulien

Praneeth1996
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @mceleavey.

However, I am not getting an error for 2nd Macro tool. What needs to be done here?

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Praneeth1996 , you have not mapped the control parameter.

Click on the tool, go to the "Questions" tab and select "fullpath".

M.

Bulien

Praneeth1996
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mceleavey  - The Output is consolidated into one piece of information. How do I bifurcate into different tabs? Can you please help.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Praneeth1996 , I thought that's what you wanted? This will have loaded in every "Apple" tab from all files, due ot the filter after the first customer tool, right?

Bulien

Labels