Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Chained Workflow - Output intermediate results / message during workflow

TobiasBieri
5 - Atom

Dear Community,

I have the following issue. I am using Alteryx to compare the data of two different IT Systems and flag discrepancies. This I set-up in a chained workflow, which works very well. There is just one thing which I cannot achieve properly. I want to upload input 1 into the workflow, process it, then output results (user list). I then can use this to generate input 2 (user report from IT System 2), upload it into the workflow and let it complete. I would like to achieve this in one chained workflow, not two different workflows.

Unfortunately I cannot find a way to display results or even a simple (dynamic) message before the end of the chained workflow. Things I tried:

Using the "Default Text" of the Text input tool by reading the .yxwz file as flat ASCI, and changing the default text in the workflow based on the results. It works, but the lines of the file get truncated when the inserted text is too long which causes the workflow to crash. Also it seems a bit too "hacky".

I thought maybe I can access output files in the temp folder using a hyperlink in the interface designer, but this also does not seem to work when running the workflow in the gallery.

Does anybody have an Idea on how I could achieve this?

Best regards,
Tobias

Flow.png

3 REPLIES 3
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @TobiasBieri ,

Firstly, you can't use a file in the first app that is being processed by the first app, that's why you need a chained app to pick up the processed results. 

If you can share your workflow and some mock, and what you're trying to achieve, I can help.

M

Bulien

TobiasBieri
5 - Atom

Hi,

many thanks for your reply. Basically I would like to display (or let the user download) the results of the first app in a chained app. But not at the end of the whole workflow but after the first app. This way, the user can adapt the input of the second app based on the outcome of the first app. If you check my first post, I drafted what I want to achieve.

Best regards,
Tobias

TobiasBieri
5 - Atom

Hi @mceleavey,

I made a short draft of what I would like to achieve:

Best regards,
Tobais

TobiasBieri_0-1640266360691.png

Labels