Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Block, restrict user access to certain databases

country123a
5 - Atom

Brand new to Alteryx

We have received a few Alteryx Designer licenses to begin learning process.  Once I install Designer I want to prevent them from connecting to a production Oracle database.  I have test copy of prod database they are to use only.  Problem is they have login credentials to prod for another application.  I have to devise some way to prevent them from connecting to the prod database with Designer.

We don't have Alteryx Server.  Just the Designer desktop licenses.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Is there a reason that prod access needs to be restricted? Is this an Alteryx specific ask? If you have already set them up with the ODBC driver and login credentials, they can access that data from any piece of software that can query data, not just Alteryx. Alteryx Designer works within the permissions that the analysts have been granted, so it isn't something that you use to provide or deny access to data sources.

Maybe just provide them guidance to only use the source that you have specified?

country123a
5 - Atom

hi,  thanks for reply

It's actually a SARBOX issue.  I will have to show auditors that these users cannot create connections to prod OLTP database with Alteryx.  

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I understand, but my point is that they could just as easily open up an Excel document, go to the Data tab, connect from ODBC, and access the same data totally separate from using Alteryx. If these individuals have access to a production system and they shouldn't have access to a production system, this is an access question that goes beyond Alteryx administration. 

Labels