Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Best way to parse data by consecutive spaces separating columns

jannis005
7 - Meteor

Hello -

I am extracting PDF data into Excel using the PDF input package and am left with a dataset in one column, for the most part with the data row title on the left and the value separate by several spaces on the right (example below). What would be the best way to parse this into separate columns, given the number of spaces are not always consistent between the title and actual data?

Thanks.

ACCRUED CUSTODIAN FIXED                                                                       23,835.41
ACCRUED INSURANCE FIXED                                                                           59.14
ACCRUED LEGAL FIXED                                                                           98,325.85
ACCRUED MISC EXPENSE FIXED                                                                     5,260.96
3 REPLIES 3
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@jannis005  I would use a Regex tool on the parse setting.

You could have it parse based on both the spaces and the starting point of digits.

Like this:

(.+)\s+(\d+.+)

parse_num.PNG

jannis005
7 - Meteor

Thanks! That solution worked. Some of my data has trailing ")" characters - is there a way to remove those characters and replace them with nothing using RegEx?

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@jannis005 If it's always the ")" character, then using Regex would be overkill.  But if you really wanted to, you could do:

Regex_Replace([RegExOut1],'\W*$','')

Personally, since it's always the same, I would do this:
TrimRight([RegexOut1],')')

or

Replace([RegexOut1],')','')

Labels