Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx to read and output password protected Excel Files

wwc008love
7 - Meteor

Alteryx Community,

I am looking for some help to let Alteryx to read and output password protected Excel Files.  Besides using R or Python, look like there're old discussions on using a macro. However, look like that macro was taken off the shelf some time ago. 

Anyone can offer help if the macro is now resurrected?  Much appreciated. 

I am searching if we have a macro to 

1) Output to an Excel file with password protected

2) Be able to access an existing password protected file to then be able to append to it

Many thanks! 

13 REPLIES 13
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Password protected files are not supported by Alteryx out of the box. I use R. someone else probably uses Python. Maybe someone uses run command.

bmillrine
8 - Asteroid

I had the same challenge finding it and eventually did. Working on fixing it at the moment then I will add fixed version.

wwc008love
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much !!  This looks like it.  However, when I try to test the macro to read an excel file, it gives me an error message. 

Any idea how I can get the macro work.  Much appreciated your help.  Thanks !!

wwc008love_0-1679778754620.png

bmillrine
8 - Asteroid

Try this one make sure the filename has .xlsx at the end

wwc008love
7 - Meteor

Thank you.  The macro runs with no error.  However, the macro automatically open the password protected file and then prompt to enter the password. and the output anchor of the macro isn't showing the data on the Excel tab.

Anything I am doing wrong here. I thought the password can be entered as a string in workflow so the macro can absorb the relevant information such as file path, file name and password and then output the data for further analysis. 

Attached is my workflow for testing purpose. Thanks for your help !! 

wwc008love
7 - Meteor

Want to come back and thanks for the solution.  We found the Alteryx macro approach is quite complex and hard to use.  So, used Python in the end,  this should work dynamically to achieve the goal. 

ricardo_takimoto
5 - Atom

Thank you for sharing this tool, I'd been using it on several workflows for a couple of weeks now. However, all of them stopped working out of nowhere, even though I made no changes to the workflows. Do you have any idea of what could have happened?

wwc008love
7 - Meteor

Hi. Just to confirm. Are you using the macro or the Python Solution.  Thanks ! 

ricardo_takimoto
5 - Atom

Hi, thanks for the response. I'm using the Python solution. It had been working perfeclty by removing the password, runing the rest of the workflow and then protecting the file again. But now, when I run the workflows I get the message that "Password Removal Failed" from the Python tool. 

Labels