Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLUCIONADO

Alteryx not opening KML and KMZ files?

mestevez1
Asteroide

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting Alteryx to open a KML file from Govt. of Canada site (https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/720.nsf/vwapj/Map_Data_CSV.zip/$file/Map_Data_CSV.zip) This file contains two KMZ file (same file in English and French versions). By unzipping English version we get the National_Broadband_Internet_Service_Availability_Map.kml file.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get Alteryx to open it. I suspect the punctuation form Quebec cities (i.e. L'Île-Perrot, La Pocatière) has something to do with that. I'm getting the following error with the KML file:

Error: Input Data (1): File Error: XML parsing of KML file failed : not well-formed (invalid token) at line 947, column 14

Zip file is attached. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mauricio

2 RESPOSTAS 2
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mestevez1 

You're absolutely right that there are non-supported characters in the default encoding for kml files in Alteryx. Here's what I found when I opened the .kml in Notepad++ on line 947: ("xE9" is the encoding for "é")

20200303-UnicodeKML.PNG

Since you don't have the option to change the encoding when you read a kml file, I used Alteryx to re-encode the text and save it as a new kml file before reading it. 

I Input the kml file, but change the format to a text file so you're just importing text. Then save this text as another kml file using Unicode UTF-8 encoding. Now you can read this new file as a kml with all the characters supported. 

20200303-UnicodeKML3.PNG

I've attached the workflow I used to convert the kml text and save a new kml file that works just fine in Alteryx. Let me know if this works for you. 

mestevez1
Asteroide

KML Input.PNGThanks @CharlieS! The only thing I needed to do was to configure the first KML input as in the picture, and it worked perfectly.

Rótulos