Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
RÉSOLU

Alter PDF OCR Tool to Read Multiple PDFs

Novak
Atome
Hello All, Was wondering if it is somehow possible to alter this PDF Reader OCR tool to be able to read multiple PDF files out of a single folder & output each read into a different cell into an Excel Workbook? (https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/PDF-Input--Text-and-Image-/5be5ec8d0462d71ffce6deaa)
12 RÉPONSES 12
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Novak ,

You can just put that tool in a macro, use the Directory tool to return the file paths of all files you want to load in and feed these file paths into the macro as a control parameter.

mceleavey_0-1621531219527.png

In the macro, attach the control parameter to the PDF tool and overwrite the first field with the parameter value:

mceleavey_1-1621531264793.png

mceleavey_2-1621531284201.png

This is a batch macro and will loop through all PDF files in order.

Hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

Novak
Atome

Hello @mceleavey 

Erroring out. Believe I am having issues properly "feeding file paths" into macro as control parameter:

So I have used directory tool to generate PDF file paths into an Excel File.

Novak_1-1621534341658.png

Believe I have properly selected this Excel file with file paths to use as control parameter.

Novak_0-1621534318768.png

Error, do I need to somehow reference the file paths better? Currently its just the file path to the Excel workbook holding PDF file paths generated by directory:

Novak_2-1621534922252.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Novak ,

It's working for me.

I've attached the workflow as a package which contains the macro.

I've attached the macro separately as well.

M.

Bulien

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Novak,

I have tested this and the solution build by @mceleavey work.

I have added one small add on for me that will show you the name of the file you have loaded as probably you will need this sooner or later. 

Emil_Kos_0-1621538127195.png

Novak
Atome

@mceleavey @Emil_Kos 

Thank you both. Had to upgrade my version of Alteryx to be able to use these workflows. Having issue with the tool itself now (think need to download R packages). When I have time to correct this, I am going to tryout these workflows.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Novak,

I didn't do a lot @mceleavey made it work for you 😛

Here is a link where you can download them. Propably it will take you 15 minutes to upgrade both designer and instal R package:

https://alteryx.flexnetoperations.com/flexnet/operationsportal/entitledDownloadFile.action?downloadP...

Idyllic_Data_Geek
Astéroïde

@Novak Are you able to use this tool? It is giving me the below error when I connect a single PDF file to it. What else did you install and configure before being able to use this tool? Thanks in Advance

Idyllic_Data_Geek_0-1627485961226.png

Idyllic_Data_Geek
Astéroïde

Are you able to upload the workflow after saving it in 2020 version? I cannot open the workflow tht you have shared here... Thanks

trettelap
Astéroïde

also having trouble with this tool upon upgrade to most recent version...

Étiquettes