Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alter PDF OCR Tool to Read Multiple PDFs

Novak
5 - Atom
Hello All, Was wondering if it is somehow possible to alter this PDF Reader OCR tool to be able to read multiple PDF files out of a single folder & output each read into a different cell into an Excel Workbook? (https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/PDF-Input--Text-and-Image-/5be5ec8d0462d71ffce6deaa)
12 REPLIES 12
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Novak ,

You can just put that tool in a macro, use the Directory tool to return the file paths of all files you want to load in and feed these file paths into the macro as a control parameter.

mceleavey_0-1621531219527.png

In the macro, attach the control parameter to the PDF tool and overwrite the first field with the parameter value:

mceleavey_1-1621531264793.png

mceleavey_2-1621531284201.png

This is a batch macro and will loop through all PDF files in order.

Hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

Novak
5 - Atom

Hello @mceleavey 

Erroring out. Believe I am having issues properly "feeding file paths" into macro as control parameter:

So I have used directory tool to generate PDF file paths into an Excel File.

Novak_1-1621534341658.png

Believe I have properly selected this Excel file with file paths to use as control parameter.

Novak_0-1621534318768.png

Error, do I need to somehow reference the file paths better? Currently its just the file path to the Excel workbook holding PDF file paths generated by directory:

Novak_2-1621534922252.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Novak ,

It's working for me.

I've attached the workflow as a package which contains the macro.

I've attached the macro separately as well.

M.

Bulien

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Novak,

I have tested this and the solution build by @mceleavey work.

I have added one small add on for me that will show you the name of the file you have loaded as probably you will need this sooner or later. 

Emil_Kos_0-1621538127195.png

Novak
5 - Atom

@mceleavey @Emil_Kos 

Thank you both. Had to upgrade my version of Alteryx to be able to use these workflows. Having issue with the tool itself now (think need to download R packages). When I have time to correct this, I am going to tryout these workflows.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Novak,

I didn't do a lot @mceleavey made it work for you 😛

Here is a link where you can download them. Propably it will take you 15 minutes to upgrade both designer and instal R package:

https://alteryx.flexnetoperations.com/flexnet/operationsportal/entitledDownloadFile.action?downloadP...

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

@Novak Are you able to use this tool? It is giving me the below error when I connect a single PDF file to it. What else did you install and configure before being able to use this tool? Thanks in Advance

Idyllic_Data_Geek_0-1627485961226.png

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

Are you able to upload the workflow after saving it in 2020 version? I cannot open the workflow tht you have shared here... Thanks

trettelap
8 - Asteroid

also having trouble with this tool upon upgrade to most recent version...

Labels