Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Allow user to input data if a field is blank

pklinedinst
7 - Meteor

We have a workflow that processes thousands of records and it finds the department if it is missing depending on the formulas. Sometimes after everything has ran we could still be missing some departments and we need the user to research the data and figure out what department the check belongs to and key it in the department field. The workflow then generates reports by department. How can I go about letting the user key in the department before it creates the reports?

Here is a sample of the data

pklinedinst_0-1677608822281.png

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @pklinedinst ,

there are a few methods you could use here. 

1. Build a chained app - This would allow you to run the records, output the records that comply. Those that don't chain to the next app and prompts the user to input missing fields.

2. Output to an external source such as a SharePoint list and send an email to the user if there any records with missing fields. The user will then go to the list, make the amendments and Alteryx will then read them in and process accordingly. This is a better method than outputting to an Excel file as it can be centrally controlled and governed and you can build in the rule to remove the records once the missing data has been provided. Alteryx can also monitor the time the record has been waiting and can send reminder/escalation emails.

3. Build in the logic to impute the missing values based on logic. 

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

pklinedinst
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your input.

I have never done any of these options and I am not sure how to go about doing them. Would you have any examples of option 1 & 3 that I could look at? 

pklinedinst
7 - Meteor

@mceleavey Thanks for your input.

I have never done any of these options and I am not sure how to go about doing them. Would you have any examples of option 1 & 3 that I could look at? 

pklinedinst
7 - Meteor

Does anyone have an example of how to go about letting the user key in the department before it creates the reports?

Thanks

Labels