Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #7: Download Data and Parse JSON

nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

The very first record seems to be off by a little bit but everything else matches.  Solution is attached.

jingmu
5 - Atom

It seems like the original json link is no longer working. Any chance we have an updated link?

dheerajpoojari
7 - Meteor

Updated link, please. Quandl seems to have removed this data set.

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@jingmu and @dheerajpoojari: Thank you for bringing this to our attention!  Unfortunately, it seems that the original dataset that was used to create this exercise has been removed from Quandl's site.  However, I adjusted the Challenge to call a new dataset on outbound tourism from the US.  The Start File contains a link to that dataset,  and the Solution has been updated as well. 

Thanks again, and happy Alteryx-ing!

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi all!  Another great challenge.  Here's my solution:

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 11.25.54.png
Natasha
9 - Comet

Solution attached

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 20.47.37.png
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This was an interesting challenge especially in the aspect of ensuring the headers are correct after performing the cross-tab which I got round with by using a union and dynamic rename.

Spoiler
Crosstab Real.PNG

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
MaxGiegerich
8 - Asteroid

Great example. Downloading JSON data through public APIs is such an important use case for Alteryx as it opens up a world of data for free! I struggled a bit with the dynamic rename formatting the unicode characters as '___' but used a blog post (https://mixpixviz.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/controlling-format-of-cross-tab-header.html) to get to the solution.

Amarendra
10 - Fireball

Solution attached. Recently worked on a similar project and was fairly easy to finish this.