Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #7: Download Data and Parse JSON

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution. 

Spoiler
Was able to solve using most of my usual suspects (Cross-Tab, Text to Columns), but managed to get away from using multiple filter or sample tools by switching to the Select Records tool, which I have never used before... seems to me a good solution as long as the data structure doesn't change. But probably not a great solution if additional columns were ever added to the source data. Would need to think more dynamically in that case, perhaps using Multi-Row Formulas or parsing Formulas + Tiles?

WeeklyChallenge7.JPG
Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

Challenge 7 done!

Spoiler
challenge7.jpg
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

DE0413
8 - Asteroid

I haven't worked with JSON before so after help research and trial and error...here is my solution

Spoiler
Week7SolutionPicture.png
Phil_L57
7 - Meteor

Great exercise for dealing with JSON format data. Coincidentally I just created this exact workflow during a training session I was running today.

I connected to Quandl to collect Crude Oil Prices

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

I'm getting the hang of JSON now :)

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 7.png
Pavel_G
6 - Meteoroid
My second challenge.
Spoiler
Screenshot - 2017-05-30 , 12_45_57.png
iiyoob
6 - Meteoroid

My solution - @NicoleJohnson's idea with a generic OR.

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 12.34.47 PM.png
KOBoyle
11 - Bolide

Solution attached.  On the JSON parse, I used the option to 'Output values into data type specific fields' which led to a slightly different solution.  The Dynamic Rename used in provided solution looks useful.  I'll keep that in mind.

Ken

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Had to do a few of these API Calls before, so this was a quick one.

Spoiler
WC6.png