Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #63: Data Preperation Using Pivot Tools

pvara
8 - Asteroid

@JoeM the link does show https://community.alteryx.com/pvsmt99345/attachments/pvsmt99345/weeklychallenge/549/1/challenge_63_R... However, the when clicking on it I see XML Code. I am using i.e 11. I will try it with another browser.

Thanks

Pete

<?

pvara
8 - Asteroid

Quick update the link works with Chrome, not with IE, or Safari...

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I added the file initially using IE11... just re-added it using Firefox, and the link appears to work correctly now opening from any browser... so I guess in the future, I will NOT be using IE11 to add files! Who knew?? :)

Garrett
11 - Bolide

Here's my take.

Spoiler
pivotsforparsing.PNG
JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The solution is posted. Lots of good and different ways to solve the problem this past week! Let me know what you think!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

very similar solution to @Natasha

markusyk
7 - Meteor

One more solution. 

MY_Take.png

Coxta45
11 - Bolide

Here's my best shot!

Spoiler
Challenge 63Challenge 63
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Chose to go a filter route to remove the extra rows at the top instead of using select records or sample. In my mind, a more dynamic approach to changing data.

Otherwise, nothing very original in my solution

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

Spoiler

If we ignore the requirement of making this data driven, and allow for a manual workflow, then this can be done in as little as two tools:

- Select Records to remove all the headers
- Arrange manually configured to do all the reshaping

I then took on the challenge to make the Arrange tool data driven for this situation, no cross tab or transpose tools, and practiced writing XML to configure the tool in a macro.

Finally, I made a workflow similar to @patrick_digan

c63.png