Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #40: Parsing a HTML File

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution. I was feeling pretty snazzy with all my new tips & tricks for RegEx (thanks for the links, @SeanAdams!)... only to realize with this challenge that I also know next to nothing about XML parsing. But a few searches later and I figured it out enough to fumble my way through this one... I'm finding all sorts of new tools with these challenges that I'll never ever use at work. :)

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge40.JPG
JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Some of the data was reported missing but has now been added to the original post!

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Thanks for including the data!

Do I get bonus point for fewest tools used? First picture is a solution with RegEx parsing. 7 tools! I'm not counting the browse ;)

Second solution is with formulas/cross tab/text to columns

Spoiler
Spoilersimage.pngimage.png
image.png
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Took me ages to get the right parse going but once I had it I was on a roll..

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 40.png
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

best hint I ever got on regex came from Mark ( @MarqueeCrew )

The tip is that http://regex101.com allows you to play with Regex phrases in real time, and it's a really easy way to learn and practice.   I now use it for all my regex work, especially web-scraping!

Have a look - it really is a fantastic site, and if Alteryx could build something similar into the product, it would be legendary!

MsBindy
8 - Asteroid

Whoops....put it on the wrong week.  This is week 41 solution.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

HTML parsing is just another excuse to use James' XML input tool to parse everything.

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
A_Twa
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached.

dominiklz
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
40.PNG
JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

On Challenge #1, Regex and I HATED each other. Now we're BEST FRIENDS. How did I never use Regex before this. I was wasting so much effort with sub-strings and unnecessary logic...