Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #40: Parsing a HTML File

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution. I was feeling pretty snazzy with all my new tips & tricks for RegEx (thanks for the links, @SeanAdams!)... only to realize with this challenge that I also know next to nothing about XML parsing. But a few searches later and I figured it out enough to fumble my way through this one... I'm finding all sorts of new tools with these challenges that I'll never ever use at work. :)

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge40.JPG
JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Some of the data was reported missing but has now been added to the original post!

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Thanks for including the data!

Do I get bonus point for fewest tools used? First picture is a solution with RegEx parsing. 7 tools! I'm not counting the browse ;)

Second solution is with formulas/cross tab/text to columns

Spoiler
Spoilersimage.pngimage.png
image.png
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Took me ages to get the right parse going but once I had it I was on a roll..

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 40.png
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

best hint I ever got on regex came from Mark ( @MarqueeCrew )

The tip is that http://regex101.com allows you to play with Regex phrases in real time, and it's a really easy way to learn and practice.   I now use it for all my regex work, especially web-scraping!

Have a look - it really is a fantastic site, and if Alteryx could build something similar into the product, it would be legendary!

MsBindy
8 - Asteroid

Whoops....put it on the wrong week.  This is week 41 solution.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

HTML parsing is just another excuse to use James' XML input tool to parse everything.

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
A_Twa
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached.

dominiklz
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
40.PNG
JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

On Challenge #1, Regex and I HATED each other. Now we're BEST FRIENDS. How did I never use Regex before this. I was wasting so much effort with sub-strings and unnecessary logic...