Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #192: Crane Leasing

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week's challenge can be found here

In this week’s challenge, a handyman and local television star needs your assistance assessing his business using date/time analyses.

Bob, whose profession had been builder, decided to transition his business towards leasing construction equipment. Among other equipment, he has two cranes that he has been leasing for a while. He wants to get a better idea how his crane leasing business has been going.

Create a workflow that will show how many days both of his cranes have been leased at the same time during the years 2016-2018, the only years where he has a full set of data for both cranes.

Bob the Builder with Crane.jpg

Source: GIPHY

hbraunius
8 - Asteroid

My solution attached.

Spoiler
192.png

Blake
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
ss192.jpg
ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Here is my solution. 

Spoiler
sol.PNG
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution! 

Spoiler
Pro Tip: Read ALL the instructions and understand what is in your data... Crane Status is apparently an important piece of information 🙂

WeeklyChallenge192.JPG

Cheers!

NJ

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Great practice parsing and manipulating dates with Alteryx!

Spoiler
192_AH.PNG
viveknshah
8 - Asteroid

Yes we can!!! 

Spoiler
challenge_192_shvive.png

My DateTime field ended up being in String when I applied the formula initially and was getting so close yet no cigar till I debugged and switched the format. 

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Got a slightly different result until I looked at the data and realized that a crane could be both leased and something else on a given day.

Spoiler
Workflow 192.JPG

Adam_Dooley
8 - Asteroid

Probably could be done smoother, but hey it works.  

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
I love using the dateTimeParse inside a multi-field tool to handle multiple conversions and changing the field to a date type.
Annotation 2019-12-02 145033.jpg