community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.

Challenge #122: Think Like a CSE...Ranking Data

Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week's challenge can be found here!

We are thrilled to present another Challenge from our “Think like a CSE” series, brought to you by our fearless team of Customer Support Engineers. Each month, the Customer Support team will ask Community members to “think like a CSE” to try to resolve a case that was inspired by real-life issues encountered by Alteryx users like you! 

This month we present the case of ranking ratings in descending order.  Below, we’ve provided the information that was initially available to the Customer Support Engineer who resolved the case. It’s up to you to use this information to put a solution together for yourself.

The Case: A User is trying to create a column of rank for an input dataset. Like the Rank function in SQL, we want to return the rank of each row within the partition of a result set. The rank of a row is one plus the number of ranks that come before the row in question. Please see the images below for an example.

2018-06-25_9-17-15.pngRanking data

Your Goal:  Create a Rank column like the Rank function in SQL.

Best,
John Posada
Senior Customer Support Engineer - Alteryx

Happy Monday morning!! My solution :)

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge122.JPG

Cheers,

NJ

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Alteryx Certified Partner

I was trying to be clever and do this in one tool but I failed and resorted to using 2

Spoiler
122.PNG

Bolide

Same approach as @patrick_digan and @NicoleJohnson!

Meteor

Solution attached.

Quasar
Spoiler
122.PNG
Alteryx Certified Partner
Spoiler
image.png

Alteryx Partner

Here's my approach.  Interested to see how others approach it.

Bolide

Pretty straightforward. I couldn't help but ensure a sort before starting..

Spoiler
solution 122.PNG