Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

London, UK

Welcome to the London User Group

Click in the JOIN GROUP button in Home to follow our news and attend our events!

Alteryx In Person FREE Core Certification Evening

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

The London Alteryx User Group are offering a FREE Alteryx Core Certifcation Evening on Tuesday 26th March 2019 between 5:30-8:30PM (Venue TBC).

Please register here: https://www.meetup.com/Alteryx-User-Group-London-UK/events/258870079/ to sign up your spot to complete the Core Certification in person with the London Alteryx User Group. Spaces are extremely limited, so please only register if you are yet to complete your Alteryx Core Certification and are able to attend on the night. Only registered members will be allowed to enter.

AGENDA
5:30 - 6:00PM: Arrival, Welcome & Set Up
6:00 - 6:30PM: Exam Prep, What to expect, Hints & Tips, Sample Questions
6:30-8:30PM: Exam (2 hour time limit)

Attendees must bring their own laptops (& power) as well as their own Alteryx designer license. WiFi will be available for the exam.

As well as signing up on MeetUp, Attendees must register at the following link in FEBRUARY to take the Exam in MARCH: https://pages.alteryx.com/AlteryxCertification-LP.html

Any questions/concerns then email: joe.lipski@javelingroup.com

-------------------------------------------

Audience: Everyone! Whether you are just beginning your journey in analytics or a seasoned professional, this exam is an opportunity to prove your skills with Designer. This exam is a pre-requisite for advanced level exams.

Description: The Alteryx Designer Core product certification exam is intended to test your aptitude around the 'core' toolset in Alteryx. The 'core' toolset was determined by the top 20 most used tools in the Alteryx Designer in addition to understanding basic UI/operational elements. The Alteryx Designer Core exam is the most basic of the certification offerings.

Price: Free

Skills Measured: Interface Elements, Basic workflow building concepts, Input Data, Browse, Select, Filter, Formula, Join, Summarize, Union, Output Data, Sort, Tool Container, Comment, Unique, Text Input, Cross Tab, Data Cleansing, Transpose, Append Fields, Text to Columns

Questions: 80 Questions

Question Type: Multiple-Choice

Exam Time: 2 Hours (90 sec/question)

--------------------------------------------

Reminders, prep materials, etc. will be sent via email in the lead up to the exam.

Joe Lipski
17 REPLIES 17
DanHare
11 - Bolide

Thanks @ElizabethB , that's great news and a great idea - having to plan ahead apparently adds "friction" to the process !

Yours in Partner Certification (no smug emojis ,apparently !)

dan

PS we will be holding a beer and pizza certification evening in the Channel Islands in April in homage/imitation of @Joe_Lipski 's great idea.

iamdata
8 - Asteroid

thanks for confirming back, i wont take any action .... well unless i need to revise ahead of time  ;)

see you all on the 26th of the month

DanHare
11 - Bolide

Thanks Joe, it's easier for us here since we are in close proximity, but we are just thinking of ways that we can help people get over "the fear" !

On that topic, and a propos nothing, here's my personal perspective on the Certification process;

• Core Certification - Whilst I was initially outraged at not getting >90% as an experienced developer, some of the questions are trickier than they seem, and I have used plenty of things that I learnt from the exam subsequently.
    Passing Core should be obligatory for anyone making a living from Alteryx, and is a pre-requisite for our team passing probation.
  • Advanced Certification - I bombed first time! I hadn't read the briefing notes adequately so was sailing along looking at the time and my progress and thinking that it was easier than Core.
    I don't want to give away the surprise, but suffice to say I had nowhere near enough time to complete. I went away to study and passed second time. 
    Every experienced developer should attempt Advanced at least once, if only to learn what they don't know and to understand Server.
  • Partner Certification (niche, I guess, but in the interests of completeness) - I took this the same weekend as Advanced, and it is basically Core+Advanced+some predictive.
    Happy to pass first time !

What we emphasise to our User Group members is that no-one knows that you are taking the exam, it is free, so you have nothing to lose and can only gain from investing 2 hours of your time to at worst find out what you don't know.

Hopefully you get to share the certificate on LinkedIn !

One of the many beauties of Alteryx is that there is more than one way to skin a cat so you will find your own way of solving problems.

The exams, along with the Weekly Challenges, led me to learn new techniques - you can't know too much !

Our Community, and the amazing fact that the Certifications are FREE, are one of the glories of Alteryx.

#RantOver

chrisrayner
8 - Asteroid

So, just so I am clear, we will all need to re-register in the week leading up to the user group meet?

Chris

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @chrisrayner

No, I do not think you will need to re-register. According to @ElizabethB's post it sounds as though the core certification will be accessible via the community from March 8th, so we will know more after this date!

The only thing to bare in mind is that it's only possible to take the exam once every seven days, so if you were planning on attempting ahead of the in person evening then make sure you do this prior on or before the 18th March (8 days prior).

I will send out a mail later in the week once I know the extent of the changes happening on the 8th!

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Lipski
iamdata
8 - Asteroid

I have just asked Joe on "meetup" about the location, as this is still down as TBD

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Just had final confirmation - I'll will update this evening.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Lipski
DanHare
11 - Bolide

We've set the date for Jersey; it's July 16th if any of you happen to be on our beautiful island !

We've now got 3 clients with Advanced too, with others preparing, so we'll be giving it a push.

https://www.continuum.je/continuum-blog/2019/5/29/certification-evenings-coming-to-jersey

Thanks to everyone for their help, particularly @Joe_Lipski for putting together the materials.

See some of you in Nashville !