Inspire | Buzz

Ask questions, connect with other conference attendees, and share your experience.
SOLVED

Which Alteryx tools have you hacked?

terry10
12 - Quasar

I'll start:  Data Cleansing Tool

I was happy to see that the ability to remove null columns in the Data Cleansing tool! But I also wanted to be able to remove columns that were filled with a constant (e.g., all 'N/A', all with the same load date, or all 0's).

So, I drilled down to the sub-macro called removeNullColumns and changed the condition from CountNonNull to CountDistinct and subsequently filtered out where CountDistinct_Value <=1.

15 REPLIES 15
DN
8 - Asteroid

@David-Carnes I also hacked the Publish to Tableau tool to get around network policy of updating passwords. But instead of requiring AD credentials, I setup authentication via personal access token (PAT) on Tableau site, which won't change.

terry10
12 - Quasar

@patrick_digan Thank you for sharing these excellent hacks! Data type in the formula tool, default to custom filter, and sample 1 record - yep, these hacks cut out the first clicks I repeatedly use on these tools! Well done. I have marked your response as a solution. 🙂

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@patrick_digan 

Oh man, what a fantastic response thank you so much! 

I didn't know you could use the html developer tools like that, super cool to know, i've already got a few other ideas of things to change!

And thanks again, i'll definitely back it up! A mistake is pretty easily made in the html!

Thanks,
Owen

Bulien
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@TheOC You bet! It was @jdunkerley79 who showed me this a couple years back and I ran wild with it.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Massive props to you both @patrick_digan @jdunkerley79 , You aces know how to think out the box!

Bulien
David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

@DN  I'm so going to change my macro to use this.  I had to burn a Creator license for the service account to have rights to upload data sources.

And this exchange exemplifies a benefit of conferences; the random conversations that casually drop knowledge into our heads.

Thank you and I hope to see you in Denver next year.
Ciao,

David

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!