Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Inspire 2016 | Buzz

Stay updated, connect with peers & share your experience!

Surfing in San Diego Anyone?

MarshallG
8 - Asteroid

Anyone interested in joining a relative beginner (stood up on maybe 15 waves total) for some surfing? Maybe Thursday afternoon or early morning one day? I'll be renting a board (and probably a car) to make this happen.

marshall

14 REPLIES 14
dataMack
12 - Quasar

I'd be up for some surfing on Thursday afternoon as the conference winds down - what better way to wrap up the week?

I've been surfing for about 2 years now, but on the gentle waves of the Jersey shore, so still consider myself a beginner.  I hear Coronado (across the bridge from the Hilton) or La Jolla shores (about 15 miles north) are good spots with easy waves and both have places to rent a board.

MarshallG
8 - Asteroid

Sounds great. I'll see if we get any more interest and direct message as we get closer

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I'd love to if I am around on Thursday. I am also a beginner and a Jersey Shore native, @dataMack!! Where do you surf in Jerz? 

Tara McCoy
dataMack
12 - Quasar

I'm in Wildwood Crest almost every weekend during the summer

JoshH
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Sounds like we need to chat more about this ACE panel on the water! I'm bringing my wetsuit for sure and hopefully surf on Sunday a little before my Inspire meeting on Sunday evening. I've heard Sunset Cliffs is a good spot too. But not sure if it is a beginner spot or not.

PennyComins
5 - Atom

Hi,

I am keen too! I have had some lessons and want to ride as many waves as possible pre trip to Samoa in July. (reads, don't want to be pummeled in Samoa; must practise)

This place has hire and group lessons - https://www.sandiegosurfingschool.com/

Happy to go where ever though and chip in for car rental. 

Keen for early morings too...we can eat breakfast driving back and hit the Key Note speakers in time. And Thursday is good. I am staying on Friday too. 

Keep me posted so I can pack my wetsuit. (and some hard pants)

Exciting!

Penny 

MarshallG
8 - Asteroid

All-

I've rented a car for Thursday afternoon for a surf excursion. Talked with a former San Diego resident and surfer who said either Ocean Beach or Mission Beach would be ideal for relative beginners -- both areas having many rental shops in walking distance of beach and sand beaches. 4 of you have responded: @dataMack@TaraM@JoshH, and @PennyComins which is a good number since any more would require another car. I'm hoping to spend most of the afternoon.

While I'd love to do early mornings, I'm having a hard time figuring out logistics given that shops won't be open early and I'm not renting a car that will transport surfboards easily :-).

-Marshall

TR
8 - Asteroid

Lots of fun spots to surf in SD, stoked to see this as a post. I've been to a few ESRI Conferences and flew boards from FL to CA but over the years have connected with friends and fellow members of the SD Chapter of Surfrider Foundation to bum boards from. One of my favorite spots as far as the overall vibe and closeby fresh homemade dougnut shop is Encinitas. There's a small public parking lot, showers and easy beach access down the stairs. In the past years we've left the hotel at 430am to surf early and get back to the conference, however this year I'm going solo and still working on the car rental logistics and value of having it early in the week. Wife is flying out late week and we're heading up to San Clemente to visit friends, if anyone is local and wants to continue the "built-in-surf-trip-conference". 

Look forward to connecting with this new technology group. I've been an ESRI user for 15 years and am currently taking a break from consulting to work in the private sector. It's been really easy to pick this up and run with so I'm looking foward to Inspire and filling the void and learning some new time saving tricks. 

See you soon,

Todd

PennyComins
5 - Atom

Awesome! Super excited! Thanks for organising the car. Let us know hwo much we owe you etc when we are up there. I am happy to go wherever and be part of the team.