Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Software Tips Needed - Architecting and Registrating Processes

Frans
5 - Atom

Hi community,

During the last years, the company I work for made huge steps using Alteryx to improve the way we handle data. We are a small company (11 persons), using a wide variety of datasources, rapidly innovating.

To design and discuss functionalities and processes (how will we get from a to b, which steps do we take, which controls do we implement etc), we simply used Powerpoints and Excels. Various processes and topics are growing way too complex to use Powerpoint and Excel for this. So, we are looking for a solution.

We have some colleagues that have experience with BPM (business process management) software, but these were all huge software packages; too big, too expensive and not intuitive enough for designing and registrating minimal viable products. What we are looking for is software with the following properties;
1. Ability to design processes on a ‘Macro-level’; what should this process do, where will it pick up data, where goes the output to
2. Ability to register roughly after building what the process does; we would like to be able that a second engineer or analist can pretty easily find their way in an ETL build by someone else
3. Visually and intuitively working; we appreciate the way Alteryx works, this is just a level above
4. Price is something to consider; we are too small for IBM-stuff

Can you help us finding the software we are looking for? We would be greatly helped if there is software that cooperates with Alteryx, but cooperation with Alteryx is not a necessity. Tips and thoughts are welcome!

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
dana_mcdonough
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Frans - In my opinion, I think Alteryx Designer should meet the needs you have outlined above. Have you built any macros using Designer yet? Have you built a transformation workflow?

I would also be curious if you have seen our Auto Insights product yet. This is a very affordable solution which provides automated insights in a slick SaaS platform.

Let me know if this helps!

Dana

Frans
5 - Atom

Hi Dana,

Thanks for your reaction. We are using Alteryx Designer and have at least 30 different Macro's. We are familiar with Auto Insights as well. 

To clarify; we have over 20 different data suppliers. All of their data needs to be cleaned and transformed. Combining this with several algorithms, a machine learning module and indatabase working in Snowflake, makes that we have a significant amount of different processes. Because we have so many processes, we als need to do version control. 

So, we are looking for a process management software in a level more abstract than Alteryx Designer. This should help us to design complex processes; not necessarily build processes. To us 'build'  is what we are doing in Alteryx Designer. 

Hope this clarifies!

Regards,

Frans

dana_mcdonough
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Frans : Ah I see...well in terms of adding version control, I would definitely look into purchasing an Alteryx Server. It has version control built into the platform. Server will also allow for workflow management/governance, role-based access for developers and consumers, collaboration mechanisms and end-to-end automation via scheduling to scale analytics at your organization. 

In terms of design, I really like Miro for online collaboration in design. 

Please "like" my reply if this helps!

Thank you,

Dana

Labels