Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Output file is not packaged when I export the workflow

Qusaiamer
7 - Meteor

Hi Alteryx Community,

I'm using index matching to get the info from an alteryx output tab to a formatted tab. This works fine in my machine but when I package the workflow and send it to another person, the formatted tab is gone. I tried to track this issue and discovered that my output doesn't get packaged when I export. So if this package is run again, it would just include the pure alteryx output. 

I'd appreciate any help or feedback as I've been stuck with this issue for a couple of days. 

3 REPLIES 3
DataNath
17 - Castor

@Qusaiamer when exporting your workflow, are you making sure to tick next to the assets you want to package with it? In my example I'm packaging the data I'm using as my input but in your case this will be your Output.

DataNath_0-1662745373294.png

Qusaiamer
7 - Meteor

@DataNath Thanks for your quick response! Yes, I always check the box to include the output. However, when I open the package, the outputs folder is always empty as shown in the pic below. 

Qusaiamer_0-1662749388752.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Qusaiamer This is a super confusing thing! See if this post from a few years ago is any help. I think Jarrod's answer ( @jarrod @JarrodT ) is the best about explicitly adding in the file using asset management. Note that this only impacts the output tool. Implicit references in the input tool don't act like this.

Here's a walkthrough in pictures:

This is the current setup for you that isn't working:

My output tool has an auto-detected asset like so:

patrick_digan_0-1662755263454.png

When I export it, it lets me "include" my file (this is misleading as checking/unchecking the box changes nothing about the export. ie my file won't be included):

patrick_digan_1-1662755303713.png

I open the yxzp in 7zip and see my out.yxdb isn't there:

patrick_digan_2-1662755333653.png

It will be relevant later, but notice that my workflow (yxmd) when opened in notepad++ doesn't list any dependencies:

patrick_digan_3-1662755375711.png

This works for outputting your file:

I use Jarrod's method to add the file explicitly as a user added asset:

patrick_digan_4-1662755410081.png

The screen to export looks identical as before (but this time the checkbox actually works). Then I open the yxzp in 7zip and my file is now there:

patrick_digan_5-1662755447427.png

I check the yxmd in notepad++ and see that there is now a dependency listed with package=true:

patrick_digan_6-1662755480433.png

I did submit an idea a few years ago to have alteryx address this: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Include-output-assets-when-packaging-saving-.... It hasn't garnered much support to date :)

Labels