General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

HELP! How to replace multiple filters criteria with a single keyword excel list ?

elstar
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all

I have an existing workflow where I utilized 2 different Filters (by keywords) based on 2 different column headers. The output result is based on the Union of all TRUE value from each filter. 

I'm trying to streamline this workflow: The objective is to have a keyword list in Excel, so that any keywords addition or removal can be done by amending the Excel rather than going into Alteryx to edit the criteria. I saw some solutions provided like Find and Replace but does not seem to work for my case - i could have done it wrongly though. Below is a simplified data for reference:

Any suggestions please? Thanks very much in advance!

Filter criteria:

Gender = Male

Favorite Sports = Soccer OR Basket

ID

GenderFavorite Sports
1MaleBadminton; Soccer; Basketball
2FemaleTennis

Female

Basketball
4MaleBadminton
5MaleSoccer; Tennis
6MaleSoccer; Badminton
7FemaleSoccer; Basketball
8MaleBasketball; Tennis

6 REPLIES 6
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @elstar 

Here's one way:

1. Assuming favorite sports are always separated by a semi colon, split them to rows (and trim leading spaces)
  2. Then use a Join tool to do the filtering, first on gender then on sport
  3. Summarize the resulting IDs and join back to the original dataset to get the records that meet the criteria. 

Luke_C_0-1665492245545.png

elstar
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks much @Luke_C  ! 

my actual data is not separated by semi column and is in fact in sentences. My apologies i did not put my filter crtieria accurately in my initial post.

Filtering:

1st filter: Gender = Male 

Remaining FALSE value to be filtered

2nd filter: Favorite Sports = Contains Soccer OR Basketball

Remaining FALSE value to be filtered

3rd filter: Availability = Contains Morning or Any

Join the filters (TRUE) as final output. 

Excel data:

ID

GenderFavorite SportsAvailability 
1MaleMy favorite sports is Badminton, Soccer and BasketballI can play in the afternoon after 3pm 
2FemaleI love TennisI play in the morning 

Female

Basketball is my life. I play every single dayI am available the whole day 
4MaleBadmintonI prefer evening but am okay with afternoon too 
5MaleI like Soccer and Tennis but if i have to choose it is soccerEvening! 
6MaleSoccer is my favoriteany time any where 
7FemaleSoccer and Basketballmorning will be nice 
8MaleFirst is basketball followed by tennisanytime 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @elstar 

A combination of find and replace tools should work. The tools are set to 'append' mode, so if it finds the filter value it will populate a column and list the value that matched. You can then filter for columns that had a matching value in all 3.

Let me know if this works

Luke_C_0-1665580959821.png

elstar
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks so much @Luke_C , it works wonder! My initial workflow was missing the "Filter" you have included. Thanks again~

gracious
5 - Atom

HI All/ @Luke_C

I tried this formula but gave me blank in my output. (in other instance I was able to generate what I need). what could be my problem? 

Thanks, 

gracious

gracious
5 - Atom

Hi, 

I did not choose "any part of the filed" in the Find within Field, thus the error. Now corrected, I wrongfully indicated "Entire Field". 

Thanks, 

gracious

Labels