General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

Alteryx Developer Guidelines

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi Everyone.

Is there some post on the internet or an article on how to build Alteryx workflows? I have some methodologies that would help people make more structured workflows.

I prepared a draft I am sharing below, but I would like to read more materials about this topic. The list I drafted below is focused on helping Alteryx developers who aren't subject matter experts and heavily rely on supportive documentation during the development process.

1. Understand the problem
  2. Do I have everything necessary?

• input files / accesses to data sources
  • information about data extractions
  • documentation
  • knowledge

1. Build workflow

• Test if your logic is working as expected. I suggest doing that often in the development process. 
  • When it makes sense to build automated tests
  • Reuse your previous work (use Macros or part of different workflows which can be reused).
  • Gather a list of questions (I prefer to have a couple of them before I ask them as some of the questions I can answer while working on the workflow)
  • Get answers 
  • Clean workflow during the development process
  • Continue building workflow and repeat any previous steps if necessary.

1. After the workflow is done and tested, you must clean it. Invest at least 10% of the time which you have invested in the development process 

If you don't have any links or materials that you can share, I would appreciate your feedback as I would like to prepare something that can be reusable by others.

4 REPLIES 4
TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

This post has some interesting stuff.  May be too granular though.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/General-Discussions/Alteryx-Design-Principles-Checklist/td-p/919246

Tim

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @TimN,

Thank you for the suggestion, but I couldn't find what I need. I will explore the Engine blogs or someone else will post something handy :)

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Emil_Kos 

Dont know if you already saw this one or if it can be useful to you, but here it is: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Alteryx-Standards-Document-Feedback-Re...

ShankerV
17 - Castor

@Emil_Kos Good article

@TimN , @Felipe_Ribeir0 Thanks for the links, it helps!!!!

Labels