General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2023 Day 3 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Discussion thread for day 3 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2023/day/3

53 REPLIES 53
JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
2023_AoC_Day3_JeffF.png
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Any workflow where I get to use the Tile tool, or where I can change both the data contents and data type using a single Multi-Field formula, is my favorite workflow!!!

When I get to do both, well, that's just an irresponsible amount of fun!!!

Spoiler
aoc day3.png
Carolyn
9 - Comet

That was HARD. I can't explain what I did, but it made sense to me :D I also gave up on the pretty annotations by the time I got to Part 2 

Spoiler
2023-12-03_17-34-11.png
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I was thinking if I could apply Spatial Analysis to this kind of X-Y coordinates problem, and come up with one.

Spoiler
Overall Work Flow looks like this.
image.png
Create X-Y coordinates, and convert them into Spatial Objects. Define the "Search Distance" based on the distance to the 2nd nearest object, When doing so, you can pick any object as a target because all objects are aligned equally. (Please note that if we don't need to care about the diagonally located neighborhood, Search Distance will be based on the distance to the 1st nearest object)
In order to avoid the issue of tiny difference in digit of double/float data, I multiply x 1.1 for sure. This allowance is reasonable as far as it does not exceed the distance to the 3rd nearest object.
image.png

With Find the Nearest Tool and "Search Distance" calculated as above, we can find the neighborhood.
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
found logic to get this without generating rows!
image.png
Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

build a macro for split to xy position and add adjacent. it used quite a lot in previous years.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2023-12-04 141034.png
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

nothing fancy here, just a bit of coordinates and generating rows :)

rachel_k
Alteryx
Alteryx

Messy and inelegant - this is clearly my first time thinking about this type of problem.  Glad to see all the smarter ways everyone approached this, to learn from for the next time.

Spoiler
day3.png
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

catching up.....

Spoiler
image.png
Gem
9 - Comet

Stole this meme from reddit, but how did they find such an accurate photo of me on day 3? 

Day 3.png

Spoiler
Day 3 Workflow.JPG

Labels