Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

JavaScript plugin error when loading plugin

chrisha
11 - Bolide

Based on the Python SDK examples I've tried to create a new plugin. I created a folder named "SKOPOSPythonTest" in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools\ with the following files:

• SKOPOSPythonTestConfig.xml
  • SKOPOSPythonTestEngine.py
  • SKOPOSPythonTestGui.html
  • SKOPOSPythonTestIcon.png

Everything is basically copy-pasted from the "Single Input Output" Example (https://github.com/alteryx/python-sdk-samples/tree/master/Python%20-%20Single%20Input%20Output).

Whenever I start Alteryx Designer, I receive an error message "JavaScript plugin error: The root element is missing" (roughly translated). I have double-checked the HTML interface, Python module and Config XML but cannot find any missing nodes or elements. The config XML contains the following:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AlteryxJavaScriptPlugin>

<EngineSettings EngineDll="Python" EngineDllEntryPoint="SKOPOSPythonTestEngine.py" SdkVersion="10.1" />

<GuiSettings Html="SKOPOSPythonTestGui.html" Icon="SKOPOSPythonTestIcon.png" SdkVersion="10.1">
    <InputConnections>
      <Connection Name="Input" AllowMultiple="False" Optional="False" Type="Connection" Label="" />
    </InputConnections>
    <OutputConnections>
      <Connection Name="Output" AllowMultiple="False" Optional="False" Type="Connection" Label="" />
    </OutputConnections>
  </GuiSettings>

<Properties>
    <MetaInfo>
      <Name>SKOPOS Test Tool - Python SDK</Name>
      <Description>Does not do anything at all.</Description>
      <ToolVersion>1.0</ToolVersion>
      <CategoryName>SKOPOS Analytics</CategoryName>
      <SearchTags>python, sdk, skopos</SearchTags>
      <Author>Christopher Harms</Author>
      <Company>SKOPOS GmbH & Co KG</Company>
      <Copyright>2018</Copyright>
    </MetaInfo>
  </Properties>

</AlteryxJavaScriptPlugin>

Any suggestion where I should start looking? The error message itself is not really helpful here...

2 REPLIES 2
MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @chrisha,

Just a quick disclaimer that I personally have not done much development with the SDK myself, however, I have done a bit of tinkering with XML in the past and noticed this on a quick scan.

I believe line 23 may be the issue (<Company> tag). The "&" symbol is typically used as an escape character in XML, so I believe the XML parser may be having trouble reading the rest of the file. More here on how to handle those characters:

https://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_syntax.asp

Mike Spoula
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx
chrisha
11 - Bolide

Oh... yes, you are absolutely right. Escaping it to &amp; worked...

Thank you!