Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.

How to get and update field value on GUI from python backend ?

WarGot
6 - Meteoroid

Hi.

May be someone help me with development custom alteryx tool on python.

Can't find how to change GUI values from python -(

Frontend:

<section>
        <h2>1. Choice file</h2>
        <ayx aria-label="data-source-metainfo-filebrowse" data-ui-props='{type:"FileBrowse", widgetId:"dataSourceFilePath", fileTypeFilters: "Askia QES file|*.qes|Askia QEW file|*.qew|All Files|*.*", placeholder:"Select Askia file"}' data-item-props='{dataName: "browseFile", dataType:"SimpleString"}'></ayx>
    </section>

<section>
        <h2>2. Choice tables and fields</h2>
        <ayx data-ui-props='{type:"ListBox", widgetId:"Tables", heightAuto: true}' data-item-props='{dataName: "tree"}'></ayx>
    </section>

Backend:

class AyxPlugin:
    def pi_init(self, str_xml: str):
        """
        Handles extracting user-entered file name, and input data verification.
        Called when the Alteryx engine is ready to provide the tool configuration from the GUI.
        :param str_xml: The raw XML from the GUI.
        """

# Getting the user-entered file name string from the GUI, and the output anchor from the XML file.
        self.file_path = Et.fromstring(str_xml).find('browseFile').text if 'browseFile' in str_xml else ''
        self.tables = Et.fromstring(str_xml).find('tablesList').text if 'tablesList' in str_xml else 'EMPTY'

self.tables is always EMPTY - it's incorrect
In str_xml also does not have any passed values.

Also can someone tell me how from python to change the value of the self.file_path on frontend ?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @WarGot,

Thank you for posting.

On your example, you are trying to retrieve "tablesList" value where dataName is "tree".

<ayx data-ui-props='{type:"ListBox", widgetId:"Tables", heightAuto: true}' data-item-props='{dataName: "tree"}'></ayx>

Could you please try with following line:

self.tables = Et.fromstring(str_xml).find('tree').text if 'tree' in str_xml else 'EMPTY'

Thanks,

PaulN

WarGot
6 - Meteoroid

May be you help me. How to send some data from python to UI ?

For ex.

gui.html

<div class='leftCon'>
        <ayx data-ui-props="{type: 'ListBox', showInfoRow: true, searchable: true}" data-item-props="{dataName: 'dataTables'}"></ayx>
      </div>

Python controller:

import AlteryxPythonSDK as Sdk

import xml.etree.ElementTree as Et
import csv
import os
import pyodbc

class AyxPlugin:
    def __init__(self, n_tool_id: int, alteryx_engine: object, output_anchor_mgr: object):
        self.selectedTables = []

def pi_init(self, str_xml: str):
        # Data from UI
        self.selectedTables = Et.fromstring(str_xml).find('dataTables').text.split(',') if 'dataTables' in str_xml else ''

How to send array from python and re-render checkbox on frontend ?

Thanks.

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @WarGot,

Does your use case justify to process data from engine (Python) instead of GUI (JavaScript) directly?

Although I don't have an example, you could achieve such interactions with a framework like Flask (http://flask.pocoo.org/) for example. Basically, the GUI would access the engine via a REST API. This is the kind of approach found in Insights tool.

Best,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support, Engineer

WarGot
6 - Meteoroid

Ohhh, bad news for me.

Maybe I can send a ajax request from frontend to python backend method ?

WarGot
6 - Meteoroid

Good day @Paul.N

@PaulN wrote:

Hi @WarGot,

Does your use case justify to process data from engine (Python) instead of GUI (JavaScript) directly?

Although I don't have an example, you could achieve such interactions with a framework like Flask (http://flask.pocoo.org/) for example. Basically, the GUI would access the engine via a REST API. This is the kind of approach found in Insights tool.

Best,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support, Engineer

Good day @Paul.N

My app consists of two layers.
On the front 3 fields:
- File Browse to select a database file
- ListBox 1 to select tables from database
- ListBox 2 to select fields from table

Backend:
1. selecting file I Python establish a connection to the database and get the list of tables
2. I pass the list of tables in listbox 1 and wait for the user's choice
3. I receive data from listbox1 and send to Python list of tables
4. From the selected tables, I request a list of fields and pass to the listbox 2
5. Receive the data from listbox2 and then transmit the data through the workflow

Screenshot_2.png

RuchikaMangla
8 - Asteroid

Hi @WarGot 

I am also looking for the same thing if it is possible. So, do you have any suggestions now if you have implemented it on your end?

Any help would be appreciable!

Thanks!