Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.

HTML SDK - Pass Data to Macro with no configuration item

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I am trying to pass data from the html gui to a macro but without it showing up in the configuration xml. Possible? Can you provide a simple example? 

@NeilR @tlarsen7572 @jdunkerley79 @TashaA @RithiS 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
5 REPLIES 5
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

no i don't think that's possible as that's the purpose of the tool's config xml - to pass info to the engine. what are you trying to do?

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I am trying to pass sensitive data as it's needed to use the UI but then I want to pass that sensitive data into the macro so it can be used there as well. I don't want that data stored in the XML config because it can be saved and then sent out to someone else. I want to make it only available at run time from the HTML gui to a macro. Make sense? 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Ah. In that case you could try to use the Text Box input tool with the "Mask Text (for Passwords)" box enabled along with the corresponding HTML SDK functionality. That obfuscates the xml in some manner.

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Right that's how most of the HTML macros work today when using passwords but a user can put in info, save the workflow, send it to another user and they can use that info 😉 

TashaA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey @joshuaburkhow !

Unfortunately I don't believe there is a way around this leveraging a macro as of back-end right now. The macro text box accepts password encryption of 'hidden', and I don't believe you can use machine/user encryption here. 

As far as other ways to store the value between the UI and the engine, their main point of communication is between the configuration setting of the xml. There may be changes on the roadmap that could help with this, but nothing as of right now. 

If I think of any work around I'll let you know!

Best,

Tasha