Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

Creating a yxi file - also creating the Macro folder with an icon in the process?

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hello!

I am currently looking to make a macro pack for all of the macros I have created and often use, for easily sharing with colleagues. I have looked at the numerous ways of doing this, through .exe files, and zipped workflows (like Adam Riley's Macro pack - ChaosReignsWithin.com).

However, I have also noticed it is possible to create yxi files to install multiple tools (thanks @peter_gb for the article https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2017/10/05/create-share-alteryx-tool-installer-yxi-file/ ). If possible I would like to distribute my macros using this method, and I've been having a bit of a play with the functionality, however I cant seem to find a way to create a new tool pallete section, and change the icon of it in the process.

Does anyone happen to know if this is possible?

For example, if i take a pre-existing yxi (in this case, the AutoInsightsUploader tool found on the gallery), and change the xml so that instead of saving to the category 'connectors', it now saves to 'test folder':

TheOC_1-1645626445899.png

the installer will then install the tools, and load them into a 'test folder' macro folder - almost perfect. However i then have to go change the icon of the folder myself:

TheOC_2-1645626518155.png

is there a way to do this automatically within the installer?

Thanks,
TheOC

Bulien
2 REPLIES 2
tlarsen7572
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Unfortunately, no, I do not know of a way to do this automatically from the YXI.

You can have a custom icon for the tool category. I've done it for a suite of tools I am developing:

tlarsen7572_0-1645627873773.png

But a YXI will not do that automatically for you. I ended up creating an MSI installer that places all of the files where they belong.

Category icons should be placed in the Alteryx installation directory under bin\RuntimeData\icons\categories. The name of the icon needs to be the name of the Tool Category, without spaces.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @tlarsen7572 

Thanks for your help, its a shame it doesn't seem possible with a YXI file - but an MSI file seems a smart way of doing this anyway.  Yeah this is exactly what I'm trying to achieve, thanks for your input!

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien