Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Cloud Quests

Elevate your workflow skills by solving real-world challenges using the Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform.

Cloud Quest #11: Filtering Sports News

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Maveryx,

We posted the solution JSON file to Cloud Quest #10. Check it out and let us know what you think! Send suggestions to academy@alteryx.com or leave a comment below!

Let’s dive into this week's quest!

1. Download and extract the provided ZIP file containing your starting data and workflow files.
  2. Upload the provided Cloud Quest 11 - Start File.json file into your Analytics Cloud library.
  3. Reconnect the provided NY Times Data.csv dataset to your starting workflow file.

For more detailed instructions on how to import and export Designer Cloud workflow files, check out the pinned article Cloud Quest Submission Process Update.

Scenario:

In today’s Cloud Quest, you will find a dataset containing the titles, key words, and other data for all New York Times articles published from January 1, 2020, to December 31, 2020.

1. Your first task is to identify which day of the week has the highest number of articles published in the Sports section.
  2. Your second task is to identify how many times the word "Football" or "football" appears in the headline or keywords on the day of the week with the highest number of articles published in the Sports section.

In your result, write a statement similar to this:

The word football appears [number] times in articles published in the Sports section on [day of week]s.

Hint: Unlike Designer Desktop, the Text To Columns tool in Designer Cloud requires the backslash character (\) to be used to escape values within strings. White space characters can be escaped with a backslash as they are in RegEx syntax. You can find more information in the Delimiters field in the Text To Columns tool's Configuration window.

Spoiler
A combination of the Filter, Summarize, Formula, Text To Columns, and Join tools should solve your problem, but not necessarily in this sequence.

If you find yourself struggling with any of the tasks, feel free to explore these interactive lessons in the Maveryx Academy for guidance:

Once you have completed your quest, go back to your Analytics Cloud library.

• Download your workflow solution file.
  • Include your JSON file and a screenshot of your workflow as attachments to your comment.

Here’s to a successful quest!

AYX-Maveryx_Micro Identity-Maveryx Academy_wordmark.png

10 REPLIES 10
logdog0411
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Bellamy 11.png

JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
I think the instructions should ask for "how many articles," not "how many times."

I tried to make mine a bit more dynamic in case the data change and a different day of the week becomes the answer in the future.
Quest11_JeffF.png
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

Fun one.

Spoiler
Cloud Quest 11.png
RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

Here's my take

Spoiler
The last bit may seem a bit covoluted, but this is because I do not have a Regex_CountMatches at my disposal, so I thought it would be wise to tokenise and count for each separate field... Luckily I was allowed to discover that Alteryx does not understand the data type String so this is a big red flag with respect to enterprise readiness - I hope I did something stupid, but I am fairly certain I have encountered another bugThe last bit may seem a bit covoluted, but this is because I do not have a Regex_CountMatches at my disposal, so I thought it would be wise to tokenise and count for each separate field... Luckily I was allowed to discover that Alteryx does not understand the data type String so this is a big red flag with respect to enterprise readiness - I hope I did something stupid, but I am fairly certain I have encountered another bug
JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx

@RWvanLeeuwenIt looks like you've exposed two issues.

1. The ToString() function breaks if the column is already a string. If you remove the ToString() function around "day_of_week", your formula should work.

2. The location of the error is not being communicated correctly. It should say something like "Parse error at character (114)" instead of "Parse error at character (4)". It's character 4 on line 4.

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Done!

Spoiler
Quest #11 screenshot.png
geoff_zath
Alteryx
Alteryx

First to use Standard Mode tools?? I might have cheated a bit since this gave me access to REGEXCountMatches. This also gave me a slightly different answer as football was used more than once in some keyword entries.

Spoiler
quest_11_workflow.png

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@JeffF 
nice comment

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution!

Spoiler