Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Avinesh
7 - Meteor

Hello everyone,

I have come across situation wherein on every run of Alteryx workflow gives error "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32)" in the output tool even though there is no instance of excel file is opened.

Notes:

1. There is no instance of excel is opened

2. Running this workflow on the local system.

3. Same workflow was running fine earlier and there is no change in the system configuration

Earlier all my workflows were running smoothly, any suggestions??

8 REPLIES 8
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Avinesh 

Some times working with Excel can be really tricky.

You mention you are running it on the local system, are you outputting to a local drive or a network drive?

If the latter this can be caused due to a little bit of network latency in the way Alteryx streams the data to Excel.

In the drop down box for File Format, if you see Microsoft Excel Legacy please try that, if you don't see that please follow the post in here

If that doesn't work let me know

Avinesh
7 - Meteor

Hi @JoeS ,

The workflow outputs the data in the local drive only. 

Yes, it worked with File Format : Microsoft Excel Legacy but the run time of workflow is increased significantly. 

As of now I am proceeding with this. 

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Avinesh 

I am glad we managed to get it working, but a little upset it's now slower for you.

Would you be able to share the workflow and I can test my side to see if I can replicate the issue you had?

Thanks

Joe

Avinesh
7 - Meteor

Hey @JoeS ,

Sorry for late revert. 

I may not be able to share the workflow as it is in the client environment.

Since it looks like some driver issues either w.r.t. Alteryx or Excel drivers, I am in process of reconfiguration of the same. However I will keep you posted here in case it works after this.

SowmyaNagaraju
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I'm facing the same issue - while trying to modify Excel file using PowerShell script. Could you please tell if you found the solution to this problem. Thank you!

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@SowmyaNagaraju wrote:

Hi, I'm facing the same issue - while trying to modify Excel file using PowerShell script. Could you please tell if you found the solution to this problem. Thank you!

When you say you are trying to modify using PowerShell how are you doing this in conjunction with Alteryx, via the Run Command tool?

SowmyaNagaraju
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @JoeS ,

Yes! I'm using Run Command tool to trigger PowerShell script. I also tried using event after run but received the same access error. Workflow runs without any error when it's run on Designer, I only face the error while running the flow on Gallery.

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Ah, PowerShell may not be installed and/or allowed to run on the Server. You may be best to reach out to your internal IT team first to check that.