Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Updating MS Access File On Google Drive

NavinN
5 - Atom

I currently have a workflow on Designer that reads Excel files stored on Google Drive before updating an MS Access database also on Google Drive.

When I saved the workflow to the Server gallery, I see that it is unable to locate the MS Access file as the location gets updated to _externals/filename.mdb. 

Is it possible to update the original Access file on Google Drive if the workflow is scheduled on server?

4 REPLIES 4
RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@NavinN do you know if the machine that has Alteryx Server installed on, can access the Google Drive path?

Does this work fine from Alteryx Designer on your local machine itself?

NavinN
5 - Atom

@RishiK

Thanks for your response and help. Yes, the workflow runs as expected on my local machine / Designer. 

When I uploaded and ran the workflow on Server, it seems to have read my Excel files on Google Drive based on the intermediate output (no. of records joined etc.) but it is writing the output to a different location that I can't seem to locate (_externals/1/filename.xlsx).

Could it be a permission issue when writing to Google Drive or that the Alteryx server machine doesn't recognize a G:\ path that works from my local machine. If it is the latter, is there a format to specify files stored on Google Drive?

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@NavinN it could be both or either.

To check if its a permissions issue, are you able to run the workflow in Designer on the Server machine itself?

Also, is your workflow using UNC paths for the network drive? You can check this via

Options-> Advanced Options-> Workflow Dependencies-> All UNC

in Designer

NavinN
5 - Atom
I'm unable to run designer on the server machine but it does appear that the workflow is using UNC paths. I tried another network location instead Google Drive and ran into a permission error. This seems easier to resolve and I'll explore it with our admins. Thanks for your help.