Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Run workflows one after another

pgeorge4
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have alteryx designer and server.

I have created a workflow to test whether a .txt file exists in a folder and based on that if the exists then I want to trigger another workflow.

I have added other workflow in the Event after run without error.But when I try to execute it says  Designer x64 The Designer x64 reported: Error running Event #1: The external program "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" returned an error code: 2: The system could not find the environment option that was entered. ¶ (203)

My alteryx designer license is not enabled with API and scheduler feature. Please check the attached item.

Is there any tool I can use to chain the workflows without events?

I have attached the screen shot of the first marco which checks for a file.

Regards,

philip

8 REPLIES 8
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @pgeorge4

Is publishing/scheduling this workflow to the server an option? This will have the correct license to enable this feature. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

pgeorge4
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am able to do a save as to the Alteryx server Gallery. We have alteryx server .

Also I am able to schedule the workflow connecting to Alteryx server as as a controller.

With these features how can I enable running the workflow in a chain.

Regards,

philip

AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You could also check out the runner macros in the CReW macro pack (http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2014/09/blog-macro-pack-2014-q3-release.html for a quick overview)

Download the latest version of the macros from here http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

Just a note that these aren't an official part of the product or officially supported, but they are widely used.

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
SteveKnapper
8 - Asteroid

Hello, I have the same requirement where I have six workflows which need to be ran in order.

They are published to our gallery.

But are not scheduled as I do not know how long each step takes.

I have been reluctant to use the third party macros as do like to use the gallery scheduler and have read that these are not compatible.

steve

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @SteveKnapper

You can use the events tab to call upon a workflow. You can find an article explaining it here, you will want option 2 after the Crew Macros

Best,

Jordan

StephenSink
5 - Atom

This article isn't much help if you're trying to work with workflows published to a server. The Runner tool is not compatible with with the scheduler:

" Using Runner Macros on an Alteryx Server or Gallery can risk over-utilization of resources and cause instability in an Alteryx Server or Gallery environment and thus Runner Macros are not supported on Alteryx Server. There are other options that will allow you to use the workflow on the Gallery or Scheduler."

In the Run Command Event, you need to specific a file path which is not possible with a workflow on the server.

The interface tool has a default timeout of 30 seconds so if workflow 1 takes any longer then 30 seconds then this options doesn't work well either (default time out can be changed but has to be done by server admin).

So far i haven't found any good solution to this problem.

jamshed23
6 - Meteoroid

is there any good solution to chain worfkow? i have more than 50 workflow which required need to run in order

_Angus_Birnie
5 - Atom

is it possible for you to combine workflows that need chaining and use control containers to set the order in which the groups of workflows run?