Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Questions about Validation when Saving to Gallery

kpmike
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I have 2 questions about validating when saving to a Gallery.  

(1) Is it possible to have Alteryx DEFAULT the option for validation to "unchecked" for specific workflows?

(2) Currently, if i set the workflow runtime option for "Cancel Running Workflow on Error", the workflow will stop after the first error.  However, during the validation step, it still steps through the whole process!  Is there a way for the Validation phase to recognize the "Cancel Running Workflow on Error" option? 

Alteryx Validation.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@kpmike 

The only way to have Alteryx default to not validate is to make a change in the Alteryx Server System Settings in the "quality check" and change it from 0 to 1. However, this would make every not go through the validation. Right now that check box you have highlighted is the only way to customize what workflows go through validation.

The reason why the workflow does not error is due to the validation runs the workflow with what is called "zero record", which means it does not run the workflow with your data. This is for security reasons as well as performance.

DanM

kpmike
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @DanM ,

I have a particular case, not sure others have encountered.  I have a workflow that pulls data from a single database (Oracle).  However, that workflow has 7 different inputs all pulling from that DB (in-db input).  For whatever reason, in the Gallery, every once in a while, the scheduled run will get my db password wrong and try and run the workflow.  This causes the workflow to try all those inputs with the wrong password.  Our Oracle DB locks us out after 5 failed attempts.  Every time this happens I have to go through a whole thing with IT to get my account unlocked, and all the while, my DB processes are failing because i'm locked out.

Anyway, the solution to that was that for the workflow I just set the workflow to stop on Error, so that at the first failed login, it stops.  HOWEVER, whenever I try and save that workflow, and the server happens to have my password wrong, the VALIDATION step causes the lockout because no matter what, it wants to run through the whole process.

Right now, I have to be very careful whenever I save that workflow back to the server, because if I forget to uncheck validation, there's a chance the password is wrong, and I will be locked out.  It would be great if there was either (1) a way to set the default for a workflow to "no validation", or (2) have the validation step respect the option to stop on error.

Sorry for the long explanation, thought the background might help, and maybe someone would have a solution I haven't thought of.

Also, if you're wondering why my password is randomly wrong sometimes on the server, I have no idea.  Our Alteryx admins have no idea, and since it's a rarely intermittent issue, I can't duplicate it for them on demand.  

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@kpmike 

Are you creating the data connections locally and then pushing them to the Server? If so, you may want to try and have your Server Admin create the connection for you on the Server and then push that connection to you. That would then prevent you to have to push the local setup to the server as the setup would already be there.

DanM

kpmike
6 - Meteoroid

I'm not entirely sure how the server works, but the way they set it up is first, locally I create a connection and build my workflow, then I "publish" to the gallery.  The admins ask me for the connection information, and credentials, and they set up the same connection on their end.