Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Private Studio vs Shared Studio

lalitkumarnaidu
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

What is the difference between a private studio and a shared studio on the gallery?

Best Regards,

Lalit

3 REPLIES 3
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @lalitkumarnaidu ,

Both refer to the same artifact - 'A Subscription on the Server', but differ in the way access is provisioned.

Private Studio:- This is a subscription assigned to one particular Artisan. The gallery can be configured to by default create a private studio when a user onboards.

Shared Studio:- If a subscription/Private Studio is assigned to more than 1 person, it becomes a shared studio/space.

User Case:-
1. A private studio can be used when each individual contributor needs a publishing space on the gallery.
2. A shared studio can be used when a group/team/project wants to share the publishing space on the gallery.

Do let me know if this helps.

Best,

Jagdeesh Narayanan

ypt
7 - Meteor

Hi, is the shared studio mentioned here the same thing as Collections?

Paul_Holden
9 - Comet

@ypt Shared studios and Collections are different things.

Caveat 1 - the following is my internal picture, does not cover all the ways that workflows can, or could previously, be shared in Alteryx and the analogy may be fundamentally flawed in some way (but it works for me!). In particular it doesn't cover public workflows but I think those are relatively obvious?

Caveat 2 - this is all changing in recent versions and the whole studio concept has pretty much disappeared in 2022 version. I'm not sure how much of the wiring is left behind the scenes but it seems most of the constraints of the studio system have been torn down and in the future we will just be talking about users personal "stuff" and "stuff" in collections.

I like to think of Alteryx Gallery (old model, prior to 2021.4) as like a building with one long corridor.

When each new person joins the they get a studio which is a room off of the corridor which they are locked in to!!!

Workflows are like pictures that each user paints and glues to the walls of the studio (they are stuck there!).

Any workflows that a user publishes get stuck in the studio they are currently occupying.

As I said above all the studio doors are locked and only a Curator has the keys.

A person can ask to be moved to a different studio and the Curator can unlock the doors and move them.

This different studio can actually be another person's "private" studio - it's just a room with a locked door where you publish your workflows after all.

Any workflow they publish from now on will be in the new studio.

Also they can no longer get to workflows that they published to the old studio because they are locked in to the new one.

Additionally a Curator can create Shared Studios - which are a bit like meeting rooms - they don't belong to individuals but they work just like the other rooms on the corridor.

You have to ask a Curator to move you to a shared studio.

Any workflows that you publish will be in the new studio.

You can no longer get to workflows in your old studio.

You can see workflows that other users have published in the new studio (you are in the same place after all) and have full access to them (you are inside the room).

Now lets give each person a tablet with a browser, and every workflow "picture" has a camera pointed at it.

Anyone in a studio can wire up the workflow camera to display on one or more sites that are visible in the browser - these are our Collections.

Note that anyone can create a Collection (if they have the correct permission) - not just Curators. They are the owner of the collection.

Users can now access the Collection on their tablet even though they are still stuck in one studio and locked out of the other studios.

The owner can control which users have access to which Collections.

The owner can control what type of access each user has to the Collection.

You can put other things in Collections as well as workflows e.g. schedules.

NOTE THAT THIS APPEARS TO HAVE CHANGED SOMEWHAT IN 2021.4

I'm still testing the changes but this seems to be the new way of things...

You can now always access any workflow that you have published regardless of what studio you originally published it in. These are "My Files".

You can see other workflows in the same studio as you because they show up in "Shared With Me" however you don't seem to have the same level of access as previously (when it seems that all Artisans in a studio had full access to each other's workflows) - I could be wrong in this I'm still testing.

You can also see all the workflows in Collections that you belong to me and they also show up in "Shared With Me" - so this is pretty much unchanged and just a more convenient way to view all the workflows published by others that you have been given access to.

Effectively in 2022 we are in a position where each new user gets their own studio and they stay in it forever. They share any workflows that other users need to see via collections. This is much closer to the, perhaps more familiar, model of a shared server where each user has a home directory but they can allow other users to access their files via links.

Hope that helps (or at least doesn't confuse you any more).

Paul