Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Output Excel File from Server to Network Drive

shardert
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I have a workflow that I want to run regularly on the Alteryx server. It gets its data from a SQL database. The workflow spits out one three sheets into one excel file. I have a Block Until Done tool placed so that its not trying to write to the same file simultaneously. The problem happens when I try to save it to the gallery and run it. Evidently, the Alteryx Server does not have the proper permissions to access the folder to which I'm writing. I get an "Access is denied" error when I run on the server.

I tried changing everything to UNC paths in the workflow dependencies and unchecking the output file under the "Manage workflow assets" menu when uploading to the server. This didn't seem to help. I still get a "Cannot access the folder" error.

I've read through other threads on the community and nothing I've seen seems to address this issue. Unfortunately, I cannot share the workflow.

Does anyone have insight into how this error can be resolved? Any help is appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @shardert 

It sounds like the user credentials that are used to run the workflows do not have permissions to that network folder.

My gallery is configured to run as a specific user account, which intern has permissions to read/write to all of the network drives.

I would suggest that you look at the folder permissions and grant access for the server to those folders

shardert
5 - Atom

I'll try to find who my Server administrator is and get them to make these changes. Thanks!

shardert
5 - Atom

For posterity, I was able to resolve the error by running the workflow with my credentials. This option is set while saving something to the gallery after clicking "Workflow Options" and then "Set workflow credentials". Under "Always run this workflow with these credentials", I entered my institutions login credentials which then allowed access to my network drives.