Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Obtaining input and output files from MongoDB

ashley_harris
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been posted already, I have had a look through a few forums and haven't found a complete answer to my question.

I have an app hosted on Alteryx Server that allows people to submit input files that is either rejected with no output, or completed with an output file produced. The output file is then presented back to the user to download. 

I was wondering, how would I obtain a copy of the input and output files that each user would obtain as a result of this (regardless of pass or fail)? I have seen other people mention this is done with MongoDB, so does this mean querying it with the MongoDB Input Tool in Designer, then uploading an app to run that will download all inputs/outputs within a time period? And in which case, what collection would I need to query?

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
dana_mcdonough
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @ashley_harris : check out this article on the Alteryx API. This might be a good solution for calling the server to retrieve input and output files from Designer. https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Using-the-Alteryx-API-from-Alteryx/ba-p/318565 

ashley_harris
7 - Meteor

Thank you, that is really useful! While this looks like a good way to go, I was wondering if there is a way for me to obtain this information via MongoDB? I think it is possible looking at other forums, but as far as I can see no one has posted a solution! Looks like the AS_ResultsFiles may provide the outputs, but I can't see this collection in Designer.

Thanks again for your help.

BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @ashley_harris , I was looking into this recently - I was able to get to the AS_ResultsFiles Collection via the AlteryxService database. What I see are lists of file names that were output from a given workflow, not sure this is exactly what you are after, but here's how I configured the MongoDB Input:

BrianR_0-1656506178107.png

ashley_harris
7 - Meteor

@BrianR wrote:

Hi @ashley_harris , I was looking into this recently - I was able to get to the AS_ResultsFiles Collection via the AlteryxService database. What I see are lists of file names that were output from a given workflow, not sure this is exactly what you are after, but here's how I configured the MongoDB Input:

BrianR_0-1656506178107.png

Hi BrianR, thank you for your comment. That's interesting, so that collection doesn't actually provide the data in the files, just the names? Do you know of any way, using MongoDB, that would allow me to pull the data from the files (.csv) uploaded to the tool on the server?

Thanks again for your help!

BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

I haven't actually tested this out - but take a look at this video from one of our partners, DataMeaning - while the exact data might be a bit different, I think the technique talked about in this video might also apply to those files - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doljUWtycH8

ashley_harris
7 - Meteor

Hi @BrianR ,

Thanks for your reply. I think that helps with the input files, but I am still struggling with the outputs. I see the collection AS_ResultsFiles contains the name of the output, but I can't figure out a way to obtain the full contents of the output file. Would you happen to know how this is done?

Thanks,

Ashley